Friday, March 26, 2010

Tummy Tuck Talk....and pictures to tell the story.

I guess it’s time….I did promise after all…


I’m about to discuss the tummy tuck. I think I’ve been procrastinating. Nearly two years later and few people who know me even know about it – what I’m ashamed of I have no idea but part of me still is…Drazil holds the key to that info…and that’s another blog.

Real quick before I start - *sorry – just had a mini-aha-moment right then* - do any of you remember that I had to stop doing P90X after the first night of trying it because my abs are so tight from the tummy tuck that it hurts to pull/work them? I was telling my mom that. She actually said in a concerned, something is wrong, what have you done to yourself tone, “Will you ever heal, will you ever be able to do ab exercises?” WHY THE FARK DO I CARE? If I never have to do another ab exercise in my life – isn’t that like a little piece of heaven? Some plastic surgeons even brag that after they do your tummy tuck – you should never have to do a situp ever again. What ab exercises do – tighten ab muscles – is done through medical stitching. Why is it a bad thing that two years later my stomach is so tight I can’t do a situp? God help me – why can she think that means I’m not healed? Ugh.

Okay – first off – to the beginning. In October 2005, I had my last child. I knew I was done. I had gestational diabetes and let’s face it – I ate like I was carrying and feeding triplets and a monkey on my back. I told myself the whole time that the moment she was out – it was over – I was getting healthy. And I meant it. She came out – and I was on a diet starting that day. I topped the scales at 226. Pregnancy weight or not – it was fat and it was mine and it was unnecessary. I had high BP to boot….even after she was out and I was only 30. That was enough of that.

Fast forward to June 2008, about 2.5 years later and I weighed 153. Down 73 lbs. I had been in size 16s and now I was in size 5s. I felt great. I was running 5 miles a day – 6 days a week. I was at the top of my game. I was literally for the first time happy with my body – except for one thing. I had hanging skin. I was in denial for a while. For about 6 months I would stand in front of the mirror or sit in the tub and just grab handfuls of skin and try to see if that skin had lessened. And I’d work harder. I’d grab again – still there. Work harder, eat less. More pounds came off. At 153, I was small enough that there was no need to lose more and the skin remained. How could this be happening? Sweat and sacrifice and THIS is the payoff? I still can’t tuck in jeans or wear tight things around my waist? How is that fair? It’s such a cruel twist of fate – such a slap in the face and hard to wrap your head around it....but it remains.

I used to work with a man who had gastric bypass – he was over 500 lbs. He’s lost over 250 pounds and needs skin taken off his knees, thighs, stomach, arms, elbows, breasts, and back – nearly everywhere…and they told him it weighed 70 pounds. I never once thought I’d need the same thing. It never crossed my mind – I thought I wasn’t working hard enough. And then one day I heard a commercial for a plastic surgeon in my area. I went to her website and I saw pictures – and they could have been me. I had to see her.

I scheduled an appt and told a few people at work. They looked at me like I had two heads. I hid my piece of skin well – and so to most people who obviously didn’t see me naked – they thought I was crazy or overly vain. No matter – I went. I even knew from research I’d only need a mini-tuck instead of a full one. I told myself I wanted to go see her just so a professional would tell me I could never lose it on my own – that it was truly skin and not fat. I needed to hear that….though I suspected it. I told myself I’d never get a tummy tuck. I couldn’t afford it. Ever.

That surgeon took one look at me and said, “Wow – there’s no fat on you anywhere….and this piece of skin has to go.” She said my muscle tone was unbelievable and that I only needed a mini tuck. She said it was $5000.00. I left. For about 5 minutes I felt defeated. And then….

With every bone in my body I knew I’d be back. It was the end of the journey and I would never, never be happy without it gone. Ever. That skin was something I couldn’t live with – some might be able to – I could not. Years of sweat and leaving my family to work out and saying no and breaking down mental barriers and ugly duckling feelings and morphing into a new me – could not end with hanging skin. Not for me. Had I ever in my life done something just for me – for $5000 – for my mental health? Nope – but dammit it was time.

I found the money. I remember being desperate enough to ask my mom for it – something I’d never done in my life. Of course that was a no. Didn’t matter – I found the money. I scheduled a pre-op and I was on my way. I dealt with the “you’re so lame” looks from my co-workers and knew they’d never understand. I told everyone I work with – and told no one in my life at home other than my siblings and parents. No one in my husband’s family knows to this day except his mother.

I had my mini-tummy tuck in June of 2008. Surgery was less than 3 hours. My surgeon had her own surgical suite so I stayed in her office and was sent home that same day. EVERY surgeon is different. A huge piece of advice is never go to a surgeon with their own suite who also doesn’t have rights at the nearest hospital. Check the credentials. Ask for patient’s names who’ve had what you are about to have. My surgeon had rights at the hospital connected to her building and was accredited. Some surgeons have you stay overnight – some do not. Just like with lap bands every surgeon has their own rules. Follow them. Period.

After a tummy tuck – 90% of surgeons have you wear a garment for sometimes weeks. This thing is Spanx on sterroids. It is a full body suit down to your knees and over your bra. You lose nearly two sizes when you put this thing on. Mine zipped and buttoned on the sides and was crotchless. You only take it off to shower. You pee and poo with it ON.  It becomes your life….and when you take it off you feel naked and like you’re missing something. It helps stop swelling and keeps things tight and helps the skin reattach to the muscle.

Pain meds are pretty heavy the first few days and even after a week you’re still on them. I’m highly tolerant of pain but this was tough for me. It was much much worse than a c-section because of what they do when they are in there….they’re not just making a hole to cut a baby out. It might be outpatient surgery but it’s nothing to laugh at.

90% of surgeons also use drains (a tube with a small bag at the end). I had one (some have two) – inserted right above my lady part and yes I still have a small scar from it. My husband had to empty it and keep track of how much was in it each time. I had my drain for a week – some have them even longer…depending on how much is filling up in them. The thing with drains is this – if you don’t have them – that liquid and blood gather between your skin and muscle in your stomach and you get a seroma – which is literally a waterbed under your skin. You push on your stomach and it moves like when you put your finger into a waterbed. Creepy to say the least and harmless….but still good to avoid if you can.  *Note - getting the drain out is WAY painful.  That tube is in there a long way and she literally just grabs it and pulls it out!  OUCH!

A tummy tuck is very invasive surgery. I have heard you can watch one being done on youtube but I never did that – too many people said it was very scary. I am an information whore but I drew the line there. I do know the surgeon lifts your skin from your muscle and pulls it back and then ties your muscles back together. Nearly all women’s muscles are separated and stretched out if they’ve had children or were obese. This part of the procedure is called muscle repair and should be included in every tummy tuck procedure. If it’s not – run! It’s not just about cutting off skin – it’s about repairing the loosened muscles under the skin. Most surgeons also do a little lipo to contour your shape while they are in there too…..this was included in my price. For some it’s extra.  Because of the lipo and surgery itself you will be literally black and blue in spots when you come out.

It can take a long time for your stomach skin to reattach to your stomach muscles and if it’s not – fluids build up in between (the seroma). This happened to me numerous times – because right after surgery I could not rest as I should have due to a family natural disaster. If you lay flat it helps – but I couldn’t lay down at all. It’s nothing serious. I’d go in – she’d cut me open with a scalpel and push the fluid out onto a towel. No stitches or pain or anything but there was always enough liquid to soak up two towels. Had I still had drains it would have gone into them but drains aren’t real convenient to go back to work with.

Swelling is also a huge issue. My surgeon never told me about swelling but I knew about it from the message boards I followed. 99% of tummy tuckers experience it and the swelling can make you bigger than before you went in. Many many women cannot fit into pre-op clothes for a long time after surgery which as you can imagine can really screw with your head after you pay $5000. You go through a big period of regret and you wonder what you’ve done. I’m not going to sugarcoat this – the swelling is bad and can last for months. If I work my abs hard enough even now I can swell. Food and sodium affect it greatly and so does activity and everyone is different. For most recovery is long and hard. And I was in excellent shape and only had a mini.

A mini tuck means my belly button was not moved at all – all my work was below my belly button – I only had hanging skin under my belly button. Most people get a full tuck – and your belly button is totally taken out and the surgeon makes a new one. More healing time, more swelling and more chance for infection – especially if you smoke.

I saw my surgeon every 3 to 4 weeks for a complete year. I was happy to do that because it’s a pretty emotional roller coaster and she was very reassuring. The first few times I had fluid taken out. Another time I had lipo done on a spot that she didn’t think was flat enough. Lipo is crazy weird – a wand is under your skin and it just feels bizarre….so bizarre I almost passed out. Not painful but odd. Most of the time pain meds aren’t needed for any of this stuff after because your entire stomach is numb. Even 2 years out most of my stomach below my belly button is still numb. (good for getting my belly button pierced but feels odd otherwise) The feeling may or may not come back – it doesn’t bother me. Some people hate it.

I was cut along the same line as my c-sec scar – very low so that a bikini covers the scar. The incision is bigger – almost hip to hip. If you get a full tuck – the incision is the same horizontally BUT you also have a scar up from your belly button usually. My scar is barely visible but I scar well….many women aren’t fans of the scars when they are done.

There are tons of different types of tummy tucks – full is the one most get done….but the type of cut and such and what’s included are always different so be sure to ask. At 4 and 6 months and even a year out – what you see is NOT your final results. Patience is hugely important if you get this surgery. So many do no research and think in one month they’ll be flat as a pancake with six pack abs. A friend of mine had it done one month after me (she did NO research) and thought she’d come out with no more stretch marks and so today is very dissatisfied with her surgery. Are her abs tight and is her loose skin gone? Yes. Does she still have stretch marks? Yes. So she’s not happy because she had unrealistic expectations. You don’t get new skin. I still have stretch marks – less yes, but I have them. You have to have realistic expectations and patience.

Finally almost two years out I know what I see now is my result. I have fattier sides than I used to but that’s because once you have lipo fat normally won’t redeposit there – it goes to other new places and for me that’s my sides. I could lipo it out of there but the surgeon says it’s just not enough to go under for (though I disagree). I sometimes think my ubber abs stick out now but it could be that they always did but I was so focused on my hanging skin I never noticed. Again, I could lipo it but I’d have to be put under and it’s not worth it to me. You have to be careful about that. Right now if you have hanging stomach skin it may be the only thing you see and focus on. When that skin is gone if you choose to have a tuck – you may notice you now hate your arms or thighs or whatever. Most of the people I see do end up going back for thigh lift, butt lift, lipo everywhere, etc. That’s totally fine but that’s not for me. My hanging skin wasn’t my fault and was not a “normal” imperfection like my big muscular arms I got from my Dad you know?

Many women think they get a Ken doll area that is huge and have that lipo’d. My theory on that is that skin hung over it before – and now that it’s gone you see the area and you never did before so it seems bigger. I think mine is but I’m not about to lipo that.

I’m no expert. What I wrote here is my own experience and my own research from being heavily involved on a tummy tuck message board. Take it with a grain of salt. Again, I’m not going to say it’s easy like the breast reduction was – it’s a far cry from that. BUT my recovery was not what it should have been. My parents suffered a flood 8 days after my surgery and began living with me. I was up for 20 hour days in mud and stress and chaos and my surgeon wasn’t happy. Had I been able to lay down and rest – I wouldn’t have had seromas or maybe even needed lipo. I think I took 8 work days off. I know some women who take 2 months off. Again, I have a high pain tolerance and a desk job. You cannot lift over 15 lbs for quite a while so if you have young children you will probably need someone to help you. And of course – it’s surgery – there are complications and I have seen them and they aren’t pretty. Again, do your research.

This isn’t just a physical surgery – it’s mental too – just like the weight loss journey. You have to know you’re worthy of it and never look back…..because you are.

I hope that helped someone. Let me know if I forgot anything or if you have more questions.

P.S. I hate these pictures but they help tell the story. Some are graphic....beware.

Before

4 days out.  The lines in my skin are from the garment.  The cord is the drain I spoke of.

Better drain pic...very inconvenient.

This is my scar - about a week after - hip to hip.

Bruises from lipo and look at the size of my stomach.  Probably 3 or 4x the size of when I went in.  MAJOR swelling.

Pic of 1/2 the garment.  Straps are over my shoulders and it goes down to my knees.

Approx 1 yr. out - still swelling - bumpy...

 Little over 1.5 yrs out - still bumpy.




♥ Smooches & Hugs ♥

♪ Life isn't as serious as my mind makes it out to be. ♪

♣ Everything always passes, and everything is already okay. Stay in the place where you can see that & nothing will resist you. ♣

37 comments:

LDswims said...

Wow, thanks for sharing! What great info. It's in the back of my mind to consider this once the weight is gone and the kids are had. It will be a few years, obviously...but it certainly isn't a decision to make lightly!

Again, thanks for sharing!

~*~TRACIE~*~ said...

Very informative, thanks for sharing

Weighting Around said...

WOW! What a difference! How excited you must be with your new body.

DawnB said...

Thanks for posting - it looks like it was quite painful; but your results are amazing!

Jen said...

I am so forwarding this to all my gfs that want a tummy tuck. I think it would be a huge wke up call. Thanks for sharing your story.

Gilly said...

Thanks so much for this! I think that for me, it's going to have to be done. A little scary, but your honesty is much MUCH appreciated!

LauraLynne said...

after losing 130, I had one as well - simliar experience. The biggest thing about my TT was that afterwards, I finally felt like I had a "normal" body. It looked normal! It was still 180 pounds, but it was shape of everyone else's!
My daughter called my extra skin my "skin shirt" because she caught me tucking it in my pants/skirts and coudn't figure out what else it could be!!

Jenny said...

Thanks for sharing your story. It sheds a new light on plastic surgery! I never think its a big deal because you see so many people do it, but it really is.

Genie @ Diet of 51 said...

Draz! That is quite a gripping story. Exposing the truth about something that sounds so perky and cute: "A tummy tuck!"

You sure got a good result. I think it's generous of you to so candidly--and graphically--share your experience.

Katie J said...

Thank you SO MUCH for doing this post AND including pictures. I have it in the back of my mind to do it but I do know it is major surgery and won't address it until I am closer to goal.

Kristina said...

Im so glad you wrote this post. I have major weight to lose and know that once I reach a certain number, I am going to have to have a tummy tuck and a breast augmentation and Im good with that. But Im glad you put the truth out there and went over some questions Ill need to ask! Little bitty bumpy or not, you look AMAZING!!!!!!

Southern Belle said...

Girl you gave my "tummy tuck" speech as well as I ever could. The surgeon I worked with did his outpatient as well and the hardest thing was trying to convince people this is a MAJOR surgery. A wondeful surgery but major. You will have drains, you could have them for a month, you will have lots of pain, you still have to walk so you don't get a PE and die...so on and so forth. Yours looks really good! Thank you so much for posting such an informative post, everyone considering plastic surgery needs it!

Tina said...

Wow..thanks for this post. I am right at the point where i need to make that consult appointment. with 109 pounds gone I have a huge flapperoo. I also had 4-sections and rate all surgeries by the c-section pain standard. If I had not already the posted your weekly quiz i would have answered the I gained the most from this week question with this post. Very timely and helpful to me.

Butterfly/Amy said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm still waiting to be banded but I've had two c-sections and already have a pooch that has no muscle tone and I worry I'll need a tuck. Very informative.

Kristin said...

Oh yikes. That's some serious stuff. But your tummy looks mahvelous.

Band-Babe said...

Serious question, because I don't know... but why do you recommend only doing this if you get muscle work done, too? I'm definitely going to get a panniculectomy, but in my limited experience... have only seen women in pain after their tt's. My friend just got a skin removal only, and she looks really smooth, no side tags or bumps. I'm honestly wondering what others have experienced with muscle work VS skin only. Thanks for sharing...

THE DASH! said...

OH... MY... God. What a woman you are. You know, I have been toying about the thought of a tummy tuck - and though 'm not usually put off by the thought of any surgery.. this one does freak me out a little.

I loved your account of how it all went. There's not point in lying and making the shit out to be better than it was - as it just gives you crap information. A really, really great post, Drazil. Loved it!! And thats for the pics too. Your tum now looks amazing. I will have to go away and give it more thought. xx

Dinnerland said...

Lordy have mercy. I hope that I won't have any hanging skin b/c that post scared the crap out of me. I don't think I'm dedicated enough to go through a year of recovery as you described-- but that's OK b/c I haven't been planning any plastic surgery.
That could all change 30 pounds form now-- but at least I know the reality from someone who has been there.
Actually: my sister had a tummy tuck and I don't even know this much info!!
And DANG girl-- you look good!!
I have been meaning to ask-- how tall are you??

Girl Bandit said...

Thanks so much for that Drazil....I really appreciate it. I have never had a flat stomach and think I may end up a little like you. Two of my friends had the full tuck but I think it was more about skin than muscle...not sure...I should check that out. I don't know if I would do it but will see. I think your results are fantastic. have you had a boob reduction too???

Ms. Chunky Chick said...

Thanks Drazil. i realy never thought about going further investigating the tummy yuck, but I see I am gonna have to. I honestly think the results look great!

Amy W. said...

Thank you for the detailed story. That will help so many of us. I am in the "someday" camp. You know, I want one 'someday'.

I dont think that I will ever be 153 pounds or a size 5, so maybe my flutter will keep my stomach filled out.

hahah

For real though.

Thanks again!

kisses!

NAT said...

Thanks for your wonderful blog.... I am just at 2 weeks out from my tummy tuck....our stories mirror each other. What a great way to get the information out there with your experience...

Lilian Hulen said...

Yeah you're right. And it is true that we have to prepare ourselves mentally and emotionally before going with any kind of surgery. Like any other cosmetic surgery, there is really no coming back after having a tummy tuck. So, you have to be ready to accept the complications before, during, and after the surgery and recovery process. And I am so proud of you for accepting everything and getting over with it. =)

kerrianrichard said...

Thanks for sharing your Tummy tuck surgery experience and posting the images. You should get such nice result. The surgery is really very nice and excellent.

Tummy tuck

Serena Smetzler said...

Thanks for this. My tummy tuck is scheduled in 3 weeks. I'm nervous nd sceptical. I've never been the superficial or plastic surgery type. So I struggle with the idea of it in my head let alone the surgery itself. Thanks for your experience nd honesty.

Serena Smetzler said...

Thanks for this. My tummy tuck is scheduled in 3 weeks. I'm nervous nd sceptical. I've never been the superficial or plastic surgery type. So I struggle with the idea of it in my head let alone the surgery itself. Thanks for your experience nd honesty.

Alina said...

Great Post! This is one of the best way to loose weight. But you might just want to try having the obesity surgery ,it would be really interesting and helpful.

Elina Mark said...

The best candidates for tummy tuck are those who are active, healthy, don’t smoke and have realistic expectations about what this surgery will achieve. After all, there will be scarring. There will be some sagging skin, and there is the possibility of complications.

smita sharma said...

Tummy tuck is a surgical procedure that takes away excess loose skin and tightens the muscles up.
thanks
Smitasharma

jessica rohms said...

You look incredible and should be super proud to show off that amazing bod at swimsuit time!!When you first mentioned that you were getting a tuck, I honestly didn't think we'd see much of a difference because you hid it so well and have always looked amazing in your posts! Great tummy tuck recovery sweety :)

Shilpa said...

Abdominoplasty, tummy tuck surgery at affordable cost in Mumbai, India. Consult expert surgeon Dr.Milan Doshi.

Fubus Ladam said...

The most pure and quality makeup brushes sale online.

Divya Patil said...

I am very impressed by the information of this post. Thanks for sharing such a great information.Check out more information on Tummy Tuck Madrid

Corrine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aarushi Singh said...

Nice blog, Thanks for a nice share you have given to us with such an large collection of information.

Tummy Tuck Spain

Ashmita said...

Cost of mini tummy tuck varies based on the extent of your surgery and the cost of any additional surgery.I want to research the cost of a mini tummy tuck.

Corrine said...

Great resources for tummy tuck. I hope you post more information regarding the results and also share your tummy tuck before and after video gallery too.