Monday, July 19, 2010

You're going to fry the twins!

Hello my little chickens.  How was your weekend?

Mine you ask?  Welll - let me just say the anti-social Draz is becoming a freaking butterfly.  Friday on the way home from work I turned on my phone cuz it was 95 degrees and we had no plans so I called a friend.  Did you read that correctly?  First - I turned on my cell phone...um yah...I was going to use it.  Second...to invite a friend...spontaneously.  I think I've turned into someone else.

The friend came over with her three little girls until like 8pm.  My neighbor ended up bringing her 3 kids over too.  I even had a major day planned the next day which is another victory in itself.  Normally the next day's plans would be enough excuse for me to do nothing - because I'd need that night to mentally prepare for the next day.

Wanna know something else?  I mentioned it was hot.  Soooo I was in a bikini and I even let it all hang out in front of these people.  I did not give a damn.  My mom even came later and I showed her my tattoo instead of hiding it.  I'm telling you - I am not me. 

Saturday was a 200 mile motorcycle ride.  I only knew a handful of people but that didn't stop me.  I made conversation, I laughed, I had a great time.  With people I didn't know.  I didn't get sick to my stomach or get a migraine.  The world didn't swallow me up whole.

One guy I rode with took me aside and said, "Damn, you look good."  I smacked him.  AND I got whistled at by a bunch of guys sitting on their porches drinking beer.  Yes, they may have been drunk and therefore blind but still - they whistled.  I'm counting it cuz let's be honest - I have no real NSV's.

I ended the weekend with a hot bath with the hubby.  Possibly too hot.  I got in and got the water going and realized it was a bit hot so I cooled it a little.  Apparently not enough.  Rambo got in and said, "Holy shit, YOU'RE GOING TO FRY THE TWINS!"  I said, "Oh come on wussy, I'm in here, it can't be that bad."  He says, "You don't have balls, honey or other hanging parts that are sensitive to things like temperature."  Is it wrong that I thought it was funny?

Oh and I read a little more of my running book.  Here's another tip I found helpful.  In my daily life this rule does NOT apply. In fact this technique is something I am fiercely trying to break every day. What I’m talking about is where you look. Since I can remember I have hated looking people in the eye so I keep my head down and even walk with my head down. I have literally run into people because of this habit. I hate it. I want to walk with my head up and my back straight…proudly and with confidence. And I’m changing that. When I find myself doing it – you’ll see me in mid-stride – change it after I tell myself to “look up and stop it”.

In running though this habit is good for me. When I approached the hill the other night – at the END of my 4 miles when I was very tired and already drenched in sweat I could clearly see the entire 1 mile hill…if I chose to. It looked ominous…like a mountain really. So yah, I chose not to. Head down on I went. The book says to literally look at your feet – watch one foot go in front of the other and in that moment know that in the next moment all you have to do is put your other foot out one more time. One. After. The. Other. Surely you can do that. It’s one step.

Mind game? Maybe. Does it work for me? Yup.

I can tell you I had no idea how much of that hill I had in front of or behind me and that’s how I wanted it. Had I seen what seemed like something impossible looming in front of me – I would have walked some of it for sure. It seems I do my best running mantra chanting in this mode too. I see nothing but my feet and I chant and I ask the hill to come run with me…and I make it through.

I'm still chanting *dig deep - keep running* or *I am a runner*.  What's your exercise/running mantra? 

19 comments:

Stephanie said...

Congrats on such a wonderful weekend. You are going to be the belle of the ball in Chicago!

My mantra: "You CAN do this, Steph" or "Just keep swmming..." like Dory from Finding Nemo.

Pamela E. Williams said...

You are building mountains of confidence and self esteem. Awesome!!

For the record I giggled when you wrote about almost frying the twins. I couldn't help it it was funny. Poor Rambo.

*~D~* said...

You are blossoming into such a beautiful (social) butterfly, doll!! Keep it up!

And if some guy who's not your husband is telling you you look hot and others are whistling, please tell me how the hell that is NOT a NSV?! You're crazy woman! That's one of the best kinds of NSV...even if the drunks are a little annoying!

Hahahaha- my word verification is fishee....it must have read Steph's comment!

Sandy Lee said...

You are going to rock us in Chicago. So happy the flower is blossoming. It just takes one step, just like running. OK it is damn hot here and I don't run, but I got out and walked a trail close to home. Had to have a few cold ones after that.

I kept repeating "It doesn't matter...because...". And you know what, it doesn't matter. Hope the twins are too deflated after the hot bath. Have a great week, my dear, and so happy you are getting out of your comfort zone. Because that makes a good life!

Sumer said...

"YOUR GOING TO FRY THE TWINS" HA HA HA!

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

LOl! Your cute! My running (and now cycling) mantra is "You got this" and "Dig Deep" and "I'm an athlete". :D Those help me! I never let myself say anything negative. OH and running long distance looking at the ground can hurt your neck and upper back. I love the treadmill b/c I keep my head held high, shoulders back, arms right, and stare straight ahead (out the window). But running outside you HAVE to look down to make sure you don't step on a rock or crack or bug or dog, etc. So I did find that hard to adjust to outdoor running when I was training for the half marathon.

Nella said...

Sweet NSV!

Jacquie said...

I am so happy you are "getting out there" and over-coming your phobia. I pray that you will be my inspiration with my motorcycle phobia. I want so bad to enjoy that again with my husband!

DB said...

Way to put yourself out there! Sounds like you had an awesome weekend :)

LauraLynne said...

one of the things I do when I'm running - especially when I'm running out of mental OR physical steam - is stare at my feet and kind of let things go a little fuzzy...I imagine I'm on an asphalt treadmill and I focus on my shoes and let the ground blur just slightly. It makes running
Ok - that sounds a little crazy typed out - but hey...whatever!
It's something that works for me. That's all I know.

Tina said...

Good for you Draz-and the running thing. I do it on my bike on the big hills. look at the road just in front and behind so I don't get hit by a car..but never up the hill. Its too scary and get off the bike. I do child birth cleansing breaths when I am climbing...and then think about how the hill/contraction will soon be over. Its kind of cool some of the same techniques are recommended for running.

karen said...

Way to go on the NSV you hot BIKER BABE - hey I want to see the NEW TATOO TOO

Stacey said...

What a great weekend! Hubby wants us to go on a bike trip to Yosimite after I have my surgery and have healed up. I am excited/terrified at the thought!

Dazee Dreamer said...

kudo's to you for not caring if your mom saw your tattoo. I'm still a little on the nervous side to have my mom see mine. I guess if you can do it, I can do it. Thanks for the push.

amandakiska said...

I hope you don't run into anything!

So proud of you for stepping out of your comfort zone.

Beth said...

what is the name of this book, it sounds like a good one : )

Ice Queen said...

Draz the social butterfly. Maybe she is the real you?!?!

I always watch my feet on hard parts of my walk. I concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other, ignoring the obstacle and soon, I have killed it.

Genie @ Diet of 51 said...

Glad to hear that you're getting out there and enjoying your life! Be the Life of the Party (without drinking, of course) that you were meant to be!!!

Diz said...

My mantra? I tell myself- suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret. Your choice. You can do this D...just a few more steps. Then I forget about it all and start thinking about boys. :)