Monday, August 9, 2010

Cheating and Ink

Hello all my virtual friends!


What a weekend! I went to two festivals this weekend and didn’t cheat (minus the 4 fritos) so I was pretty proud of myself. I didn’t fair so well at the family party. There was an entire table of desserts – I kid you not. My main meal was all Atkins friendly and so were my drinks – no alcohol…but I made the choice to have a cookie and a scotcheroo bar. Because I willingly made the choice I’m not going to whine about it…though I do regret it. Add that to the fact that most nights we went to bed around 2am and it equals me feeling like a truck hit me. I’m kinda glad about that. I’m pretty sure if I felt great I’d cop an attitude like “oh see…I can eat sugar all day long and feel fine.”

I don’t feel fine though. I feel like I should…lethargic, tired, no energy…off plan. I’m up one pound. By day’s end I hope to have it back off. I have planned all my meals and cooked them for the week and my motivation never left me. Vacation is in 10 days and I want to be at 155 by then. I can do it.

If nothing else I’ll just sit outside – it’s 100 degrees here and if you sit outside for about 5 minutes you lose a pound in sweat.

Rambo partook in one too many alcoholic beverages so he’s up a few pounds. He too, made the conscious choice. He too, is right back on plan today.

Funny enough – having the sweets/carbs doesn’t make me crave more. It makes me realize they really aren’t worth the poundage coming back. Interesting to say the least. In the past, a cheat usually means “What the hell – I might as well give up – I ruined it all.” Not this time.

Of course since it’s hotter than Satan’s crotch here that means we all wear less clothes and for me and Rambo that means our tattoos show more. You can’t miss his – he has them on his forearms. It’s so funny how many people say to me “You know, the first time I saw Rambo I was scared of him. The shaved head, goatee, the prison guard job and tattoos make him look mean…but it turns out he’s really a nice, great guy.”

I cringe a little because THIS is indeed why my parents HATE our tattoos….because of the stereotypes and the judgements you make when you see them and not the person behind them. I cringe cuz it’s reality and it happens. But if you’re a person who never meets the Rambo under the tattoos and you make a judgement about him anyway – then I’m pretty sure we don’t care what you think anyway.

People’s jaws drops when they hear I have quite a few too – 6 and more to come. They think I’m the smart one with the brains in this relationship – perhaps the one who would never mar her body with ink….and they don’t sometimes understand why I’m with “that” guy…the tattooed mean looking one. And then they realize I have them too. And I’m a career professional. I work 3 jobs. I have two little girls. I am….normal. I am not what is in their mind’s eye as a tattooed person. I don’t fit that description.

And for that brief moment – I am proud. I may have made them take a step back and realize you can’t judge a person by their looks, tattoos, hair, fat, clothes, etc. A man this weekend asked if I regretted any and without taking a breath I said no – and I meant it.

If you took a second to really look at Rambo's tattoos you'd see they are his baby's footprints or they represent our love and our past or the day he couldn't save his Grandpa from a fiery death....they are not just color, drawing and ink.  They are feelings, moments, treasures.

For me - my tattoos are the very one time in my life when I did something for me – against the wishes of my parents, soley because of what they meant to me, forever…permanently and they are one thing I do not hide about me. Every tattoo has meaning…some very deep and personal…and every one is painstakingly chosen and designed by me. They are mine. You can’t take them from me. They make me different. They make me brave. They make me the woman married to the amazing man who is covered in tattoos himself.

They make you close-minded if you can’t see beyond them. So please…if you find yourself making judgements based on piercings, tattoos, clothes, weight, etc….stop….and remember Drazil and Rambo…and know the ink doesn’t make the person.

I believe the person makes the ink.

28 comments:

Pamela E. Williams said...

I sooooo want to meet Rambo!!! Just they way you talk about him makes me know that he is such a teddy bear. The tattoo about his Grandpa....my heart goes out.

♥ya!

Roxie said...

Couldn't have said it better about the tattoos myself.

Sounds like the weekend was a good one, here's to another great week!

Sandy Lee said...

I couldn't help but think how we judge before we get to know someone, whether its tats or weight. We all have these formed opinions and need to get to know the person. Sort of like blogging-we got to know the person from their posts and not physical appearance. Thanks also for you upbeat comments. I'm doing great. Will need a few weeks to see if the meds actually work but so far so good. Loves you.

Barbara said...

You know what I think Draz.. that tat phobia thing is so yesterday... If Rambo's tats scare someone .. good..
As far as flaunting them.. do it. I had my picture taken with a girl I met in FLA that had the most beautiful colorful tats (that's tats not T*Ts) that I have ever seen..

Stacie said...

I have 3 tattoos and like yours. I have wonderful stories behind my 3 tattoos. I will never forget the lady who hired me telling me 2 weeks after me doing an awesome job, "I would not have hired you if I knew you had a tattoo."

Scuttleboose said...

You go girl! I agree - so many people these days have tattoos, and most are significant to them. I have two (you can only see one, and only when I wear flip-flops), but STILL - one of my favorite wedding pictures is my tattoo peeking out from under my wedding dress. :)

Leah said...

I love tattoos, and all of mine have meaning to me, and I don't care what people say about my tattoos, hell I have two tattoos on my wrist... so obviously I don't give a shit about what the corporate world has to say about them. It's none of their business and how on earth does Tattoos directly affect them?? It doesn't. So way to go Draz! :)

Lucas said...

Oh, I love that! The person makes the ink. Brilliant. I have two small ones and if my hubs didn't dislike them so, I would have many more. I have 3 more that I want to get, and like yours all deeply personal and meaningful. There are lots of tats in my family of artists and both white and blue collar workers. I love pouring over someones art (with permission of course) and taking in what they have chosen to lay down. Nice post Draz. Thanks. And by the way, nice job on keeping the treats and splurges down to a minimum. You are a rockstar!

Dazee Dreamer said...

I would love to see pictures of your tats. I don't look like the type either. But then I didn't get my first one until I was 51. And Like you they are very special. all of them some sort of butterfly but representing my husband, kids, and grandkids.

Don't judge a book by it's cover. That's for sure.

The CilleyGirl said...

I have this great friend that I met in freshman year of college and we became even better friends in later years when we ended up in the same town. He then moved away. Couple of years later I'm in the store and out of the corner of my eye I see this big guy --shaved head, goatee -- making a beeline for me. Looked like a bad news biker type. I avoid eye contact and start walking faster towards the door -- when he calls out my name. It was my friend! He hadn't had a shaved head or goatee when I saw him and clearly I never would have recognized him. He still makes fun of me for trying to run away from him in the store. Funny thing he, he's as far away from the bad biker type as you can get, and since I know it's him I can never see that anymore in the packaging. But some people do ask me about him, based on his looks. You absolutely can not judge a book, etc.

Yarn Envy said...

I love tattoos, though I don't have one. I want one really bad but I have decided to wait until I know what Career path I am taking. People shouldn't just see the clothes or the Tattoos etcetera and they should get to know the person but some people are so materialistic or something and they just look at the surface.

I think that the taboo of tattoos is fading though so maybe in a few more years it won't be such a big deal.

MandaPanda said...

Great take on the tattoos. I love tattoos that actually MEAN something. I'll be honest...the chinese symbols that even the person who has it doesn't know what they mean...bugs me.

Also, I nominated you for the Blogger of Substance Award.

http://deepfriedpandaisms.blogspot.com

I'm Just Another Fat Girl -jafg said...

"they are not just color, drawing and ink. They are feelings, moments, treasures.....Every tattoo has meaning…some very deep and personal…"

Exactly.

I have a Sun Moon and Star because I see God in the design of the Universe.

Love this post! Would love to see a picture of your artwork some time!

-jafg

Ice Queen said...

Bravo. I fully agree.


The pound up is fluid from going off track and eating carbs. It will drop off as fast as it came on, once you are back on track. :)

Mary said...

I would love to see ya'lls ink!! ;) Do a post and show us pics!!! :)

Blossom said...

I love tattoos, but I probably do still stereotype on people who have a LOT of them. But I love them. I plan to get a huge one on my back when I've lost weight.

Jacquie said...

I am so agreeing with you honey! You know I only have one and wouldn't ever think of getting something permanently printed in ink on my body if it didnt' have deep meaning to me. I would do it again too!

Love ya!

Cindylew said...

Okay...idea for Chicago...WE ALL GET THE SAME "BOOBS" TATOO IN CHICAGO!. I guess that would take the entire weekend...never mind.

Ms. Chunky Chick said...

I so agree, the tatoos don't make you the person you are, though for me, they marked the journey that has taken me to this place in my life. :)

Bonnie said...

I talked my husband into getting a tattoo on his arm after we got married. I think they are HOT! He then got 2 more and will probably get another within the year.

Tina said...

I love my tats and try to talk my husband into them all the time. He is just a prissy pus. :)...all those tat judgers are afraid of the needles and mask it under their judgmental comments.

Good for you on the clarity between choosing to partake of the naughty food and choosing not to. I had a sugar fest the other day and for the first time ever realized that there was a physical feelings kick back. I felt crappy. It was weird but i was numb to it before and i like this new consciousness place. It sounds like yours is working A-OK :) Good luck on the pre-vacation goals. I know you will reach them and have a fun time!

Amaris said...

Great post! I love your take on tats, even though I'm not really into them myself. However, when I had my naval pierced 16 years ago (in Arkansas, not California or New York), it was for the same for me as your tats are for you -- Something I did for myself, despite what people would think. My parents didn't approve; neither did some of my friends. I was so sad when I had to have my naval ring taken out for my band surgery.

I've wanted other piercings, but Hubby is not overly thrilled with the whole thing. I didn't let him tell me not to do it, but I've respected his wishes. Until now! I'm planning on getting the nape of my neck pierced as my 50 pound reward, and he is totally behind that.

Thanks again for a peak into your world. You and Rambo both sound like amazing people.

DB said...

I love this post. I never judge a person...ever! There is so much more to really getting to know a person - not just superficially or by making a snap judgement. You rock - by the way - I do not have even on single itty bitty tat - but I have no problem admiring then on others!

DB said...

I love this post. I never judge a person...ever! There is so much more to really getting to know a person - not just superficially or by making a snap judgement. You rock - by the way - I do not have even on single itty bitty tat - but I have no problem admiring then on others!

Carmen said...

i <3 you and i know i'd <3 rambo....i wanna go to a sports bar and watch some football with you guys!!!!

i'm totally down for matching chicago tats!

Steph said...

I LOVE this post!!! I adore my tattoos and I don't regret them for a minute.

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

I love you! I got goose bumps when you talked about how each one is painfully chosen and hold very deep meaning. I feel the same. Everyone was against me getting tats. I don't regret any of mine (5 done and 1-2 more to go). They are all so special to me, they mean something so deep. And people are surprised to know I have 5 as well, only one can normally be seen. I hate that stereotype. It's part of why I wanted to get tatted up, to prove that I am me, I am my version of "normal", I have tattoos, I'm passionate and I fuckin' rock so you can suck it! Ya know! Not YOU, per say, but if you want, feel free! :P Loved this post!

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

Oh and PS, I think Rambo is awesome! I love men who are COVERED in tattoos and I have found them to be generally be the most sensitive, kind men. Some are NOT...but most are. I'd never judge Rambo, I think he's awesome! Even if he is ocassionally the unfortunate Peckerhead! :P