Saturday, August 28, 2010

Things I learned on vacation....

I only have a minute but I wanted to take a moment to get down on paper some things I learned on my first real family vacation ever. 

1.  Mother-in-laws are still annoying - no matter what city or state you are in with them.
2.  One incident of puking children in 104 degree heat on a backwoods gravel road will never allow you to leave home without Dramamine again.
3. It only takes one day before you can be around people in the South and not start saying y'all.
4.  I miss dessert.  Hotel rooms with children two feet away does not lend itself to dessert.  Creativity reaches an all time high.
5.  There is nothing - and I mean nothing - like sleeping in your own bed under your own roof.
6.  Not talking to my BFF Jenny in 7 days nearly killed me.
7.  It is not really hot here.  Nope - 90 is nothing here so I shall never complain again.  104 every day - sweat down the crack of my ass every day all day - such an oh so fresh feeling - well, that is HOT.
8.  Mosquitoes suck in the backwoods of Louisiana...as do fire ants.  We went through an entire can of bug spray in 5 days.  Wow.
9.  I still do not eat creole, jumbalaya, dirty rice, boudan or gumbo.  You can't make me. 
10.  I gained 5 lbs.  You'd think I'd be sad.  Um, no.  If any of you had seen the amount of food I ate - you'd be doing the happy dance at only 5 lbs too.
11.  Sonic...mmmkkkaayyy.....wow.
12.  I could be a truck driver.  We did 19 hours yesterday with two little girls.  I thought I might poke my own eyes out with forks at times - but I survived.
13.  I got a whole new blog layout and never lifted a finger to do it cuz my BFF loves me - and man did I miss you all!
14.  I did things so far out of my comfort zone I know I'll never be the same.  I am proud of me.
15.  We made memories that will last a lifetime....and that's priceless

25 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh, you have been missed. I've been on quite a few family vacations, although luckily not with a mother-in-law, and while there can be issues, #15 sums it all up. Quite a few of our family stories come from vacations - some good and some bad - but they have all brought us closer together.

Angela said...

I heart Sonic...it is the only way I can combat the 108 degree summers. Welcome back!

Band Geek said...

Well, you have truly been missed. I laughed when you said mosquitos [in the south] suck....in more way that one, eh?

Kim said...

I've missed you! I can't wait to hear you say ya'll in Chicago!!

Barbara said...

SOOOOOO Glad you are back Draz baby.. I missed you .. and you are right no matter where you travel.. there is no place like home.

Miss Vickie "The Queen Bee" said...

Love the new layout and welcome home!

Nawlinz Lady (Dee) said...

I wish I could say a complete sentence without the word yawl :) Also, I wish I could say I didn't eat cajun food, my diet would be so much simplier, our foods are so high in calories and definately leads to our diabetes problems. You have to have our thick cajun skin for those badazz skeeters!

Carmen said...

missed you! glad you made it back ok! dirty rice is goooooood!

i pick up accents so well i cannot even begin to imagine what type of accent i'll come back from chicago with!! i spent a week in your state once and came back sounding like a native :-)

Jacquie said...

Missed you Draz! I love your new blog layout, very you!

Ms. Chunky Chick said...

Missed you momma pimp! Glad you had a great time :)

Nikki said...

So glad you're back! :) YAAAAAY! You liveddd!

Dazee Dreamer said...

I love the new look!!!! And I'm glad you're back. I missed your humor!!!

Raegun said...

Love #3 and #15. Sounds like you had a blast!

Ice Queen said...

Welcome home! I missed you, girl.

It sounds as if you had a good time, in spite of ass crack sweat, (this AZ girl knows all about ass crack sweat!) no dessert, (now that you are home... ;)) back roads and MILs.

Five pounds isn't out of line at all. You will have that off before we can all say "Bob's your uncle!"

I like your new layout and header. It is all very you. :D

Ice Queen said...

Oh! Forgot to add...

Sonic rules.

Except for the one here in Prescott. Seriously, don't eat at this one. Drinks, only. Unless you want to spend the next two days with the Boston Trots.

Cindylew said...

I missed my little snow cone.
Soooo right about the bed thing...ours in Cape May was like a freakin trampoline...nothing like our tempurpedic.
I feel I can now breathe easier that you're home safe and sound.
LOVE YOU!

DiZneDiVa said...

Hey Draz! i am so excited that you're back... It was weird here in Blogland without you. I am so excited about going to Chicago... I made my plane reservations while you were away and am about to burst... I know that feeling well, but this about to burst is so much sweeter! *Maria*-blogger from "This one time at BAND Camp..." check out my blog at mybigfatbandgeeklife.blogspot.com

Sam said...

Welcome back, we missed you:)

Love the new lay out:)

Sandy Lee said...

Woo Hoo. You're back. Next stop Chicago. Soon, baby, soon!

Yani said...

draz i miss u come back!!!! lol glad u had fun!!!!

Julie, The Accidental Fat Chick said...

Dessert in hotels with kiddos. Guessing that's what bathrooms are for? LMAO.

Sonic = YUMMMY! Thanks for making me think I need to drive an hour to go get some. You're such a big help. I'm gonna gain five pounds before we get to Chicago, lol.

Glad you had fun & got out of your comfort zone! Good girl!! Loves you. :)

DB said...

Oh Drazie! So glad your bacck sweetie - we all missed you so much! BTW you had me at #1 on your list - lol!

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

Awwww, all that's awesome! I'm so happy for you!!!! I have some catching up to do, but I hacve missed you!

MandaPanda said...

mmmmmmmm....Sonic... OK...now that I'm done daydreaming...Glad you've made it back safe & sound and have a whole list of lessons learned to boot. Nice!

Genie @ Diet of 51 said...

I had to come to hear about your vacation! Sound like a lot of good and bad. I'm totally with you on the MIL thing.

I had a Sonic shake this summer, and it was fantastic!

Sleeping in your own bed totally rocks. Agree.

Really like the new layout. Very attractive.

Welcome back.