Sunday, September 12, 2010

BOB = not marriage material

Watermelon, my 9 year old, had a friend over last night.  Her name is Jayden.  Just so we're clear - I wasn't eavesdropping - but I heard this conversation and about peed my pants.  Thought I'd share.  I walked in during the middle of it.

Watermelon:  You mean you like him, like him?
Jayden: Yup.  I love him.
W:  Are you going to marry him?
J:  Yup. 
W:  What are you going to do about his name? (this is when I figured out the boy's name is also Jayden!)
J: Well, he said he'd change his name just to marry me.
W:  OMG - that's so sweet.  What will he change it to?
J:  I don't know.
W:  OMG - what if he changes his name and changes his whole personality and becomes a silly Bob or something?
J:  I will not marry him if his name is Bob.


Now I ask you - when did the name Bob become the equivalent of Satan?

I mean there's:

The movie - What About BOB?  - which I freaking love.
SpongeBOB Squarepants
BOB n weave - in boxing
BOB - the cute 80s haircut
Billy BOB Thorton - oh ack - wait - that's not a good example
BOBbing for apples - fun Halloween game
whatchamacallits and thingamaBOBs - fun words when you don't know what you're trying to describe

I tell you - I almost marched in there and told them BOB was a fine name and they should rethink this whole issue.  But then I heard this:

W: I think his name should be Jake. 
J:  Oh yah - I love that.  I'd totally marry a Jake.

Yah - cuz Jake is soooooo far off from Jayden.

Man, I wanna be 9 again.

19 comments:

Miss S. said...

OMG!! You know some people call their vibrators battery operated boyfriends or BOB for short. I totally didn't think this post wasn't going to be innocent at all. LMAO!!

-Grace- said...

Life was so simple then, eh?

Jacquie said...

Love it! I am sure this is just the beginning for you! My girls are the light of my life. At every age (excluding a few teenage years) I always would say "I wish they would stay this age forever!" My girls are now 23 and 19 and I still say that! I have such a great relationship with them and I know you have the same with your girls!

Karen said...

So cute! When I met my husband, I thought - I so don't like that name. Nope, not at all. But fortunately the guy won me over. Have you ever wondered if you own name fits what others think of YOU? I have wondered what name I would pick for myself.

Raegun said...

So cute!

Just Me said...

LOL...poor Bobs of the world. Not marriage material. Ahhh, to be 9 again...all I remember is skinned knees, bicycles and kick the can...where did boys come in again???

Camille said...

That's so darn cute. What About Bob is one of my faves. Love Bill Murry!

Diz said...

Hello my love- thank you for the wonderful comment on my blog. You, my dear, are fabulous. And I still LYG (love your guts) the most!! And now I love Watermelon's guts too. :) xoxo

Ms. Chunky Chick said...

Ha ha I was thinking Battery operated boyfriends before I read the post too! Wow is my mind in the gutter! Oh the innocence of 9.

Nikki P said...

Haha, That is just so darling. Gotta love the young years.

Stephanie said...

When I think of the name Jake, I think of "Jake Ryan", the dreamy guy from Sixteen Candles :)

Genie @ Diet of 51 said...

What About Bob? is one of my favorite movies, too!

Such a cute conversation! "I will not marry him if his name is Bob." LOL

I don't have a girl so no girl-talk in my household. I have to generate all of the female drama alone.....sigh.....all by myself.....

Miz said...

LOVE this and kindasorta can not wait till my 4 year old starts this sort of chatter.

KIND OF :)

Miz.

Gules said...

What I love about kids at that age is that they say things so matter of fact that there is no guessing. They're not worried about what the other person thinks, they say what they feel and mean it :)

MandaPanda said...

I have to respectfully disagree with "What About Bob" being a good movie. That guy was so annoying, even I coudln't watch him. Things seemed so much simpler when I was 9... I was always going to marry someone with an accent...I guess I went with hillbilly Ohio accent but still..

Carmen said...

lol love it!

Gina said...

Totally thought you were going to say that B.O.B. the rapper/hip hop guy was "not marriage material." Funny how the title brought different images to different minds:-)

Scuttleboose said...

Dude, if she found a guy that will change his name just to marry her, I would say go for it! :) :) I am soooo behind on my blog reading, but thanks for giving me a laugh!

Steph said...

My dad is Bob...it's a fine name! :-)