Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I want the powerful for you.

Last night me and Sheniqua and silly ass Draz got on the treadmill. They both kicked and screamed the whole damn way. They can be such children that way. Then again, the treadmill seeks to eradicate both of them from my life so I guess I’d be scared too.


The truth is I didn’t really want to do it either. I even had a TV show to watch and everything. No kids. Nothing better to do. And the plan all day was “you’re going to do the treadmill tonight”. So I went.

And once again I realized that half the battle is just getting there. It’s almost like going to a party for me. I drag my feet and think of ways to get out of it BUT when I get there it’s never as bad as I thought it would be. In fact, I kinda like it.

Working out makes me feel powerful. I feel able-bodied. Most every time I find myself literally thanking God I have the ability to get on a treadmill and walk or run with no pain – when there are so many who cannot – and would love to. I love that my girls see me on there – being powerful and taking me time – for my health. I love that it helps my depression and anxiety. I love that the sweat takes away the shit I conquered all day long.

I feel powerful.

And let’s face it – it’s necessary. At this stage of the game, I literally cannot change my weight with just dieting/food changes. I eat 1200 calories or less a day and I’m smart enough to know going under that isn’t healthy. At this calorie range I can maintain – but that’s not my goal. The only way to lose more weight for me is to work out.

I have noticed some of you struggling out there who are stuck at the same weight and I wonder if maybe it’s that time when your bodies are requiring more. It sucks – yah…but it could be your body is used to its calorie range and it’s comfy and it’s going to maintain. A little planned exercise could be just enough to push the scale and wake your body up to renewed weight loss. It works for me every time.

And the holidays are coming faster than Martha Stewart can knit new underwear….it’s now or never. If I go into the holidays losing weight and on track I’m WAY more likely to stay on track. If I go into the holiday feeling chubby and lethargic…my tiny head figures it’s a free for all because everything already sucks. Ridiculous but true.

I’m talking about scheduled exercise. I don’t mean your regular walking to work or being busy and remaining active. Your body is used to that level of activity now too. Sometimes we have to shake things up. Sometimes it sucks but I swear – once you do it – you won’t be sorry. Sheniqua will be pissed but who gives a damn about her anyway right?

My wish for you if you take on some new exercise – is the powerful. There’s something about pushing yourself to the limit and it can be done every time. I only did 53 minutes on the treadmill last night but for each 5 minute set – I increased the speed after every interval – just to see if I could. I told myself – it’s 60 freaking seconds…how can you not handle 60 seconds? Do it. And then you can get off.

You can bet your ass I bargain with myself. Some days it’s easy and the run feels amazing. Some days it’s a struggle to get on it and put one foot in front of the other and I can only walk. But I will tell you this – every single time when I am done – I feel better. I have never ever exercised and regretted it or felt worse. Those are some good odds right? I mean how many things in life have such a good guaranteed result? Not many right?

So today – I challenge myself and you – to perform a planned workout today. Whether it’s a video, a treadmill walk, going to the gym or just climbing your own steps in your house for 30 minutes…..can you do it? Can you value your health and well being enough to find the time to feel powerful?

I hope you can. I swear on everything that is holy (you know – like Skittles) that you won’t regret it.

I’m going to do the treadmill again…what will you do? 

Will you reach out and grab the powerful?

20 comments:

Jen said...

Ah SHIT. You read my mind.
Damnitalltohell, I don't WANT to exercise.
But I've done everything else right.
The only thing left is exercise.
FUCK
Thanks for the kick in the ass.

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Thanks for this post, Draz. I need to get my butt back on the treadmill too. You may have inspired me to try and get on there today, even if only for a few minutes.

Stephanie said...

yesterday was one of my nights off from the trainer. After dinner I went to "lie down" for a 1/2 an hour and then promised myself I'd go work out. 45 minutes later I was still in bed trying to come up with excuses why I couldn't go. Then i just told myself "Stop being such a whiny ass and go do it and get it over with...You'll feel much better than you do now". Sure enough, 25 minutes on the stairmaster (60 flights of stairs) I felt accomplished and energized and not like the old Stephanie who would have stayed in bed then gotten up and had ice cream.

Great Post, Draz and I hope it inspires everyone to get out there and move.

nikki said...

Great post! I've been excercising now faithfully 4-5 days per week for the last month and it does make me feel awesome. I too, somedays, kick and scream my way there - but the sense of accomplishment afterwards is uber rewarding. Great challenge! I hope everyone can commit to some excercise tonight. Me, I plan on hitting the trail again tonight. Love this weather!

Brooke said...

Great post. I got home at night last night, so no real time to workout and now I have the itch to make sure I do a run and a class today.

And I think you're right. I have been doing only 2-3 runs a week, 1-2 classes a week and it's been inconsistent. For myself and my happiness and sense of being powerful and destressed I need to up the runs by one to four a week. It's just something I feel I need to do.

take care, B

Brooke said...

Hahahahaha I got home at night last night.

Classic.

I meant I got home at 9:30 (started work at 8 am).

~Lisa~ (Mrs C) said...

GREAT Post!! Thank you for inspiring me!!

Jess said...

I know I need to get my ass back in the gym for sure and push hard! It's just getting in there like you said. Running out of excuses for sure!

Dizzy Girl said...

I went to the gym last night- burned 363 calories in 45 minutes. That's one of my meals- yah. I came home afterwards and the roomie was like- I need to go, wanna go back with me?- This time I declined, but there are times when I don't- I figure...what the hell- it's not like i need to keep the weight on or something.

The best part of working out is the mental- for sure- I agree. You always feel awesome, less stressed, alive. I love it. And I love you for doing it even when you don't want to (like me- EVERYDAY). ILYGTD

D

The Ninja said...

I -love- my workouts. The elliptical at my gym is like one of best freidns now. At the begining I cursed at it, a lot. But now I have this huge smile on my face the whole time, and I can't wait to get back to the gym. I have even applied for a part time at a local 24hr fitness location, free membership and childcare while I'm working out and extra income, woot! Grab Powerful, check!

Tina said...

picture me sitting on my ass on the couch with fingers in my ears (ok I am typing but pretend fingers) singing la la la la...I don't want to exercise..........whine whine...but i Know you are right!!!

xxxooo

Amanda said...

I started doing Tabata sprints on my treadmill this week. It was time to change things up (plus I'd been slacking on the cardio for a week/ten days.

Next step: make it THIRTY minutes on the elliptical rather than a mere twenty. I think we'll give that a go tonight.

Shoot, putting that in print means now I've committed to it.

amandakiska said...

F-YOU!!!

Ha ha just kidding...you're right, of course. Sometimes it is hard to hear what's good for us.

MrsFatass said...

Yep, the biggest battle is just getting started. For me, anyway. And once I get going, I start feeling like a badass. So I guess I just need to read this post every morning to get me to the gym.

Sandy Lee said...

So glad you knocked it out of the park. We're all finding it hard to make that first step but we will. And I loved you post yesterday. Sorry I can't comment much (blocked at work!!!!, the nerve!!!!). Hope you spend those 5 bucks cautiously. When I was little you could get an entire KFC bucket of chicken, fries and salads for $4.99. No wonder I grew up fat :-) Take care little buttercup and get on that treadmill again.

Cindylew said...

Nope!
But I still love ya.

DiZneDiVa said...

I hear you but my butt ain't listening... I hate working out and I need to get back on track. The weight loss is slow but steady. *Maria*-blogger from "This one time at BAND Camp..."

Ms. Chunky Chick said...

DraZ thank you for being just the amazing girl you are! Always the hardest is in the beginning!

Jacquie said...

I am heading back to the gym tomorrow after a 2 week break. I thought I would exercise on vacation but it didn't work out. Thanks for the kick in the butt! Love ya!

Joey said...

I know, right? Why is it so much harder to get to the gym than to be at the gym???

Good point. I always feel better after working out. Damn you!

So I just looked at the schedule at the gym. I have been avoiding taking a class....I'm not sure why. But I'm going to do it! I wrote it on my hand.

Damn it!