Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Questions for you!

Lovelies…


While I was getting all sentimental in my other blog post this morning I forgot to ask your advice about something.

Oh first – Herbalife shakes (all natural, one for breakfast, one for lunch, sensible supper)….are going great.

I freaking LOVE not having to plan my meals. 8oz milk and 2 scoops of powder – done and done.

They make me full and they keep me full. I don’t even feel the need to snack and have no urge to eat anything all day besides that. I eat a normal, healthy supper at night. I’ve decided nothing is off limits as long as the portion is okay.

That’s my plan. And it’s working. Two days in – down 4 pounds.

I feel great.

Now yes, I’m working out each day BUT I was doing that before and it would take a week to lose even 1 pound so I’m doing the happy dance.

I did another 75 minutes on the treadmill last night…over 600 calories burned. LOVE IT!

My question is this:

My legs are getting tight. They are getting muscular. They are getting strong. They are sore in a good way. When I walk I feel the difference in my legs. From the butt down – I “feel” what I’ve been doing.

That being said – waist up – nada! I run with weighted gloves on my hands but still….I’m doing NOTHING on the upper half.

And I’m annoyed. I’ve got to balance the two….if only to give my bottom half a much needed break.

I want to box. My question is do any of you have any good boxing DVDs you would recommend. Do any of you have punching bags – hanging or stand alone? Do you love it? Do you just punch for a certain amount of time? Do you just need a pair of gloves? Is boxing effective?

I have no access to boxing classes so that’s out for me.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

14 comments:

Chris Mellang said...

I love boxing!!

If at all possible, try to do a beginner/intro session or two at a boxing gym in your area. It's very important to wrap your hands/wrists if you are doing any bag work and they will show you how.

The summer that I boxed twice a week, I was more fit than I had ever been in my life.

tessierose said...

Can't help you here. Like I told Gen, the closest I've ever come to boxing was living with my ex husband!

Angie said...

I have a Laila Ali boxing DVD that is pretty great, I recommend it!

One Day, One Weigh said...

Make sure you share whatever it is you do pick and review it for us. I love to do the boxing on my Wii Fit and wish I could get a good DVD to use as well.

Tina said...

My friend boxes...she has BUFF arms and abs. She also broke her sparring partners arm a few weeks ago :) She felt really bad...but...just a normal mom who lost 90 pounds and exercises her backside off.

She goes to LA Boxing. It might be worth taking a class. I know she talks about there being some specific ways you need to learn the right way to move your arms and the not so correct way.

xxxooo

LDswims said...

If you have a Wii and have a Fit, that's great boxing. If you don't have a Fit, get one. That's great boxing.

Once upon a time I loved kickboxing and we used the bags for kicking but not for the boxing. That's really one of those just get your arms up and keep them punching in the various punching styles. I know a lot of runners literally do that while running for precisely the reasons you are talking about.

Bonnie said...

I think boxing is a great idea. I've always wanted to try it.

Lisa said...

Hi Draz,

I used to teach a cardio kick boxing class, many years ago. These days I do cross punches, jabs and upper cuts while I'm walking (at 3.5-3.7mph) on the treadmill during my slow intervals. It helps keep my heart rate up and gives my upper body a little work out to go along with the one I'm giving my lower body. Since you're already doing treadmill intervals, that might be a way to start.

Jess said...

Does that herbalife stuff have caffeine in it???

Also I would love to box too. I think getting to beat the shit out of something whenever I want might help me to not want to kill people all the time. Maybe? haha

Good luck with that. You'll kick ass no matter what you do!

Scuttleboose said...

I do the boxing on my Wii Fit - I love it!!

Justawallflower said...

I use to do good ole fashion billy blanks tao bo (sp?) and LOVED it! The introduction video is enough to give you a good work out if your not use to it. You could also get hand weights for while your on the treadmill, and during your "down" time, you can do arm lifts or curls, if you have good balance.

Ronnie said...

I hadn't even thought about taking a boxing class at my gym. They're doing all that stuff on Biggest Loser this season and the new trainers are getting awesome results with it. I would definitely get a DVD. :)

Kristin said...

Boxing is awesome, I used Billy Blanks Tae Bo DVDs. The gloves are great because they weigh a pound or two, so it's like having a weight on your hand. I've used bags, but only at classes. At home, once you get to the 50th or 60th rep of your jab, you really don't need any bags. your arms are getting a great workout.

I lovvvvved boxing. Kickboxing, especially - great for the butt and thighs. Loved loved loved it. Enjoy!

Lisa said...

Girl, I am so not there yet so I don't have any suggestions, but I want to say good job on all the other stuff!