Sunday, June 19, 2011

I need a favor....

Okay - I've spent a few hours commenting on some blogs tonight and I'm frustrated.  I'm wondering if some of you would be willing to make a couple blog changes to help your fellow commenters/bloggers out.

First, would you mind shutting off comment verification?  If you're like me and you follow and comment on over 300 blogs - typing in the comment verification word every time considerably adds to the time it takes to comment.  You can turn this off by going under Settings, then Comments and then under Show word verification for comments? - click NO. 

Then people like me can just comment and hit save and go to the next blog with ease.  You may get a tiny bit of spam when you first do this but within a week or so that stops.  I never get spam ever and I do NOT use comment verification! 

Also - so many times I click on a blogger's name who has commented on a blog that I commented on - in hopes of finding their blog so I can start following them.  Imagine my dismay when I click on the name and their blog name/link isn't shown and I cannot follow them.  You're missing out on followers when you don't like your blog to your name!!!


I believe you can do this under My Account (top right).  Then click on Blogger settings and you should come to the Edit User Profile section.  Under show my blogs - click there and pick which blogs to link to your user name so people can find YOUR BLOG!!!

To see if you have this working - go back to a blog you commented on and click on your highlighted name in the comment.  Does clicking on your name take you to a link to your blog or does it take you to a user profile with no blog link?  You WANT people to be able to click on your name and easily find your blog right?

In this same section - see that line that says show my email address....I think this is another HUGE thing bloggers need to utilize.  I could be wrong but I think this spot is the option that allows your email to show up in comments. 

For example....when someone comments on my blog the comment shows up in my email inbox like this:

From: Kari noreply-comment@blogger.com and then the comment shows here.

See how Kari's email does NOT show up next to her comment?  So if Kari asked me a question and I want to answer with a reply - I CAN'T!!  I love to reply via email to my commenters because it's personal and then they know I read their comment and that I appreciate them.

Here's an example of a person who commented that has their email showing:

From: Laurie  and then the comment shows here.

When Laurie leaves me a comment, I usually do a quick reply back and it's a warm fuzzy for us all...and so personal.  I LOVE it when people make sure their emails show in their comments.

So click on the "show email" box and leave a comment on your own blog and see if it indeed shows...or notice on your commenter's comments how many have their emails showing when their comment shows up in your inbox. 

I LOVE it when I comment on a blog and all of a sudden the blog OWNER replies back to me and my comment via email.  Or I ask a question and they ANSWER right away to ME!  I feel so special!  LOVE IT!

Anywhoozle...just a couple of tips and favors that I've heard quite a few people talk about that I thought I'd finally put out there.

What do you think? 

Just try it - you might like it!!!!  Or not - they're just suggestions!  :)

33 comments:

Cat said...

Done! Thanks for the tips - I didn't know how to make my email show up. I am pretty sure I already had my blog linked in and comment verification words turned off. Let me know if you think anything else would make it easier!

Stephanie said...

I never get spam and I don't have word verification on my comment section. The email setting for replys was something I never even looked at. Thanks for bringing it up and I just fixed on mine.

Dawnya said...

I never knew you could do the email reply thing. I will go fix that. I love email.

mallory said...

Alright girl, I had no idea I even had word verification on... So all done! Thanks for the tips! I think I added my email to it, let me know if I did it right and it comes up!

Bonnie said...

All Done.....lol....the only thing I had that you didn't like was the comment verification.

anyways off to work on the design of those ass pants.....

Laurie said...

Is that Laurie me?
I have no idea what exactly my settings are, but I am off to check them out.
If I'm the one with the warm fuzzies, I just got all warm and cozy inside.

Caron said...

I took off the word verification. We'll see how it goes. Thanks. :)

Lap Band Gal said...

thank you for this PSA. Much appreciated :)

Nora said...

Aha, I am off to the airport but will check this out tonight. Thanks for the suggestions!

AutumnLeaves said...

I also hate the comment verification word. Like you, I find it frustrating and time-consuming. When I realized how much I hated it, I removed it from my blog too. I never received spam. I do not have the reply to comment thing on, however, because I get so much email (most of it junk) that I just didn't want more in the box. Once I realize someone responds to a comment in the comments, I make a point of going back to see if anyone was talking to me. I do, however, have the email thing working when you check out my profile. I've had people tell me that they can't find my email and I know it is there. I made sure of it. I also find this useful for when I want to contact another blogger privately.

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

You took the words right out of my mouth! These are also gripes of mine! Hate the verification, colossal waste of time. I have NEVER had spam either. I am going to link this on my blog later today, hope you don't mind. I am also so FRUSTRATED when I have a new follower and no way to follow back or find out where their blog is.

Thanks for the post!

MizFit said...

and I snicker that all the annoying stuff on mine is because Im a freakin LUDDITE.

:)

computer mo'ron.

Lonicera said...

When I removed the verification thing last time in response to the same request from someone, a week later I got two unwelcome Chinese (?) messages and I reinstated it. But... it may have been coincidence. I've now removed it again - let's see how we get on.
Caroline

Joanna said...

Your wish is my command...done!! No more pesky verifications!!

Oh, and I'm also going to be better about emailing my commenters...I didn't even think of that!!

Ronnie said...

Love it, like many of the ladies you took the words right out of my mouth! I've always been too scared to e-mail back my commenters (not that half of them have their e-mails show up, anyway). Guess I should start doing that, since I usually receive the most amazing/uplifting comments. :)

Thanks for this!

Ronnie said...

And as soon as I write that, I remember that I turned off my "show e-mail" thing. (I so smart.) Fixed now! :D

FitBy40 said...

Yeah, I took my word verification off and have had no problems.
I also hate it when I click on someone who has left a comment and can't find their blog!

Live Joyful said...

I think I've done all those things -- If I haven't and I'm being a pain -- let me know :) haha. Thank you.

Losing It said...

Thanks for the tips! I didn't realize my profile brought people to my old, never used now, blog.

yay!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

I so agree with you on all your frustrations. I did, however, cut one bloggy buddy some slack. Apparently, with a blog name like "Baby Weight My Fat Ass", one does need word verification. She gets lots of naughty spam due to her name, or so she says!

MandaPanda said...

Great tips...gotta check the email thing. I'm not sure if mine works. I agree about the word verification. I got rid of mine a couple months ago and no spam.

PS_Iloveyou said...

I had no idea how to do these things! Thank you for the helpful tips, I hope I got it right!

Ice Queen said...

I don't have that insane word verification thingy. It makes me insane when I comment on other blogs and I don't want to do that to anyone else.

I got a few Chinese kinda spam messages when I first took it off then they stopped and I haven't had one, since. Otherwise, I don't get spam at all.

What is even crazier making is when there is word verification and moderating. Really? Both? Gah! I feel as if I am trying to break into Fort Knox, not comment on a blog. lol

Okay, I need to post this and see if you can find me through my profile. I won't let my e-mail come up on every comment, tho. That is too public, even tho I have my e-mail addy in my contact page, so it is accessible to my readers.

Ice Queen said...

Yep, my blog is linked when you click my name. :D

Running Ricig said...

I LOVE this! Funnily enough, my name IS Kari, but I do link to my email :)

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Thank you! These are my pet peeves too! Especially when someone (without a blog) leaves a question as a comment: how am I supposed to respond?

Nikki said...

I think I fixed it? Not sure! :)

runningonwords said...

I love this, although the options kind of suck for those of us not on Blogger. Comment verification is the worst, though!

Andrea Brooks said...

Thanks for the tips! I didn't even know I had word verification turned on! That annoys me so much and here I was doing it to other people, haha! I recently found your blog and love it! :)

Beth Ann said...

Excellent! I had no idea that my email address was hidden. I hate that because I LOVE to reply to comments and I get annoyed when other people don't have the address available. Ha!! I'm such a hypocrite. Hopefully it is all fixed now. Thanks as always, Draztastic!

MrsFatass said...

You are so smart.

Nora said...

I think I fixed it... if not, just yell at me and let me know!

vickyd said...

As a blogger newbie, I appreciate the tips and I think I finally got my blog set up correctly AND i figured out how to change my settings so I can actually comment on your blog now.

GO ME!!!