Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Nutrisystem review - Day 2 complete.

Well here it is as promised…a Nutrisystem review for your reading pleasure. By the time you’re done reading this you’re gonna say, “How the hell can one woman talk about food so much? Would she shut up already?”



Onward. Come with me.

First of all – I majorly effed up in ordering. I “thought” I had custom-picked all my foods and it turns out I didn’t. What I got was what NS calls “Favorites”. This means they do a random picking of their highest reviewed foods so you can get a taste of everything.

Um – not so good for me. Have I ever told you how picky I am? I’m the girl who goes to McDonald’s and orders a cheeseburger plain – minus the cheese. At Subway – I put lettuce on turkey. That’s it. I like my food bland and plain and so this Favorites dealio was not going to fly.

The good thing is that Rambo eats just about anything so Ima gonna be trading. Considering this – we decided to line up ALL our foods in categories on the table.



Each meal is color-coded by NS. It’s a simple system. You get a book that tells you what you can ADD to your NS meal (fruit, veggie, dairy, protein, carb or fat) and off you go into Marie Osmond-land. (which by the way looks NOTHING like Care Bear Land. There are no effing gumdrops!)

Let’s just get it out there right now that the azzhole Rambo gets TWO extra carbs a day AND an extra snack. If you for one minute think he’s not rubbing that in my face every chance he gets – well then I’ll sell him to you for $2.00.

Before I forget – I *LOVE* their website for daily tracking. Soooo simple.

I have nearly weaned off of Mountain Dew completely (Rambo quit Pepsi cold turkey too). I have drank water like the town drunk drinks vodka…and I’ve eaten more fruits and veggies than I thought was possible for this girl (considering I only like a few kinds).

Here are a few items I ate:




Banana nut muffin (um - my Bus Office Mgr walked in when I was taking a pic of my food and looked at me like I just boiled pee for tea time. I didn’t even offer an explanation. Busted!)

It was good. Not real soft, but edible. I doubt I’ll choose this again.


For lunch I had fettucini alfredo.



This was good. Not great. If I want pasta, I want bigger noodles and chicken in it. I won’t choose this again.


Then I had the deep dish pizza which was YUMMY! Small though…like enough for a smurf to choke on. But the thing is you add a salad and a fruit and some nuts and dessert and viola! - you’re full!

And you didn’t use a single pan or heat an oven or even use a dish. Hallelujah – there is a God.

THIS is why I did this. I needed a “kitchen & food & groceries thinking” break.

Of course every single thing Rambo has eaten he has liked and would order again.

For snacks we had the nacho chips and Rambo had the buttered popcorn. Both good. (but they’ll never be taco orgasm-inducing Doritoes)

I had a cinnamon bar this morning – YUMMO. I’ll so get this again.


For lunch I had this:



As a side note, I do not feel hungry. No headaches other than a small one which I think is about the caffeine withdrawal. I haven’t fallen asleep at my desk like I do EVERY other day.

I don’t feel the need to cheat which is huge for me. I mean the fact is I’m getting a ton of food. Actually I skip a few additions because I’m just not hungry. There’s been cake at the front desk and stuff like that – that ALWAYS got to me before and so far….it hasn’t bothered me. I’ll have dessert later.

I most love that this diet has every food group…no ONE thing is cut out so I don’t feel drawn to that ONE thing I can’t have. There are carbs, proteins, fats, sugars (no fake artificial sweeteners) and dairy.

Rambo is weighing once a week and I weigh daily and after two days I’m down 4 pounds …… I’m not jumping for joy just yet as the key is to keep it off.

I’ll tell you what though – mentally – I feel fan-freakingtastic. It is convenient, fast, lots of options and I just feel like I don’t have to think.

About food.

For once in my life.

Someone else did it for me and it’s healthy and the right portions to boot.

It’s just so fabulous to me to think that I don’t need groceries (other than some fruits/veggies). I don’t have to shop or make meal plans or cook (except macaroni for the girls). What a concept!

Yes – I realize this is temporary. Let me bask in the temporary glow alright?

You all know how even just a few days of being “on plan” can make you feel strong and sure right? Well, that’s what this has done for me so far.

Somebody remind me I said this on day five when I’m pissing and moaning because I haven't had a Doritoe or a Milky Way. Mmkkaayy?

Oh and for supper tonight I had a burger.  You buy your own wheat bun and I added lettuce and 1/2 piece of cheese.  It was really good - and a good size....so I'll definitely order that again.

Tootles for now - it's actually Tuesday night as I write this and I have to go work out cuz Rambo already did!

AND STILL I get dessert when I'm done! 

I feel like Miss Piggy in a bath of bacon....this is fuuunnnn!

Speaking of bacon - I cooked some for my girls and didn't have a single piece.  Neither did Rambo.  And he turned down brats at work.  Can you believe this shiz?????  I'm so stoked!!!!

Bet you can't tell by my overuse of punctuation, can you??????!!!!!!!!!!!

28 comments:

AutumnLeaves said...

Thanks for the insight to NS. I'd been wondering about the food. They make it look so good on tv!

Leslie said...

The food doesn't look bad. A lot of people at my work do this and it seems to really work for them.

Jacquie said...

Good luck to you both! It makes it so much "easier" when your spouse is on the same page as you, right?

Caron said...

I'm enjoying hearing about the food. At one point I suggested to my husband that he try it so he didn't have to cook or think about what to have for a while. It never happened. Now you are satisfying my curiosity. Thanks. :)

Dinnerland said...

Very interesting review-- I'm lost, how much weight are you trying to lose now? Good luck with whatever your goal is!!

MrsFatass said...

I tell you what, I'd eat like that forever. Like, even when I got to my goal weight, I'd let them send me stuff and tell me what to do, and just do my own thing when I wanted to - vacations and whatnot - and I'd just basically be NS's bitch. Because I love it when I'm in a place where food becomes my fuel and not my obsession.
I'm excited for you.

Dawnya said...

Color me jealous. Premade portion controlled meals that you don't have to go in the kitchen and prepare yourself.

I'm glad the foods are not horrible. That makes the process easier.

Kudos to Rambo for turning down Brats at work.

Keep up the good work Draz. You can do it.

-Grace- said...

I did NS years ago and lost 10 lbs in a week! Keep it up :)

Karen Butler Ogle said...

I'm glad it is working out for you, draz. It just wasn't my cup of tea. I didn't like any of the food but I was on the diabetic plan back then. I just have this aversion to highly processed foods I think. Of course, this was several years ago and the food was probably different then. It sounds like you are having a good experience. I'm happy for you. :)

Laura Belle said...

YEAH! I'm so excited for you and NS! YEAH!!!

It feels so good when you're doing good, huh?

Keep up the good work, because I need some inspiration and it's falling all on your shoulders chica.
Love you!!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

How nice not to have to think about portion sizes and what to cook! Good luck, hope they send you stuff you like!

MandaPanda said...

I really appreciate you posting your NS info. I've never tried it and have always been tempted. It helps to see what types of things you're eating.

It sounds like the convenience and set-it-and-forget-it aspect of it is just the thing to get you on plan and motivated. You're doing great! Keep it up!

Amanda said...

So glad you are enjoying NS! I thought you might! Good review too!

Rachellabelle - My Hips Don't Lie said...

How can you be down 4lbs in 2 days. If you weren't so darn amusing I'd be angry at you.

Good for you!! Keep it up. :)

Sarah from Onmyweightohappiness said...

Glad you guys are liking it! I always wanted to do it but it seemed to expensive for my liking. Im miss budget queen :)

Tori said...

Nice...it would be awesome to take a break from all the counting and planning. :) Way to go. :)

Cat said...

I did NS for about a month last year. I really liked the convenience of it, but hubby wasn't joining me in it, so we still had to grocery shop etc so it was too expensive for me to do AND grocery shop. I liked all of the breakfasts and many of the lunches.
Glad you are having such success!

Joanna said...

It sounds great!! I've longed to try this out - but it's out of the question for me, financially. :(

4lbs in 2 days?? That's amazing!!

Ronnie said...

Jealous. ...super-duper jealous.

Beth Ann said...

Very interesting. I like that you are liking some of the food. I'm not really picky and you say you are, so that tells me I wouldn't hate it. I just don't have a ton of stick-with-it(ness) these days... Hope it keeps going for you!!

Jess said...

Hey babe, I am so glad you and Rambo are kicking ass at this. I really hope it sticks for you! Too cool!

vickyd said...

I did NS many years ago and the food was pretty good...you just had to figure out which one's to stay away from. The biggest problem was figuring out where to store all the food (I can't imagine having two people in the house doing it...you must be swimming in it)!! 4 lbs in 2 days is awesome!!!

BTW, I'm still waiting for you to post about your conversation with Rambo about your anxiety...you promised ;)

Jody V said...

Thanks for the update!! Good stuff to know!!

Andrea Brooks said...

It's nice to have a break from cooking and having to think about what you're going to have! I might try this at some point. Thanks for the info!

Jennifer said...

I did Medifast for a while and while it worked, I always wondered in the back of my mind how NS is. I look forward to your reviews!

Jennifer
http://www.wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/

Cindylew said...

We're all pulling for you...keep it up.

Hippo Nymph said...

Thanks for this information. I have a friend who is very curious about NS. I'll relay the info, so please keep us posted.
Congratulations on your 4 lb loss! Keep it up!
By the way, I totally love your blog! Thanks so much for your wit, humor, inspiration, and, yes, even your overused punctuation!

mommykinz said...

Looks like an interesting program. When I relied on a lot of lean cuisine I noticed how high in salt they were and it seems MSG as I was sick more often. What's the nutrition label look like? If you have time post a pic of it. Congrats on your weight loss that's fabulous!