Friday, August 12, 2011

BYOC - Bring Your Own Crazy!

There is NUSSING better than a Friday, is there?


Oh wait – yes there is. BYOC on a Friday! Or shoe shopping. With purses amuck. Or about a million other things BUT for right now I’ve got NUSSING but a little BYOC on a Friday – so take it or leave it!

BYOC – Bring Your Own Crazy – 5 questions you can copy and paste to your own blog if you so desire – in an effort to get to know your fellow bloggers better and to give your blog brain a break!

Enjoy!

1. I have to do some MAJOR cleaning tonight…which is prompting me to ask…what is the absolute worst thing you hate to clean or cleaning chore you hate the most? (vacuuming, dusting, laundry, toilets, floors, etc.)

If you’ve read my blog for any more than 5 seconds – you know the answer to this. It’s the toilet. Just sitting here knowing I have to go home and possibly clean two of them – makes me think of never going home and running off with some Italian cabana boy who wears NUSSING but fig leaves.

2. Brown or Black? Fly or Drive? Hot dog or Burger? Gold or Silver?

Both brown and black – I have no bias against either. Both are equally alive and well in my warddrobe.

Drive – even if it’s 18 hours in a car with motion sick kids to Louisiana. I, nor Rambo, have ever flown – ever. No reason why really – just never needed to.

Um really – me – choose between food? Yah right. Give me both – I’ll inhale a hot dog or burger equally. I do not discriminate.

Again – choose between bling? Who is the idiot who makes these questions up? I wear both. In fact I just counted the rings on my fingers and they number 15 and 9 are silver and 6 are gold so there you have it….I indeed mix it up and wear both every day. I cannot choose. You cannot make me.

3. Repeat question: I’m going to pick a person not knowing your relationship with them or even if a relationships exists – and you then try to describe that person in 5 short sentences/words.

Maternal Grandmother

Saintly and religious
Died of cancer
Giving
Active and healthy (pre-cancer of course)
Always present

4. Even if you don’t have kids, how do you feel about kids in multiple sports during their school years?  Were you in MULTIPLE sports all during school?  Forced or by choice?

I ask this because Watermelon is 10 and this year she will be playing soccer, volleyball, basketball, and softball. We are not making her play any of these – except basketball. I’ve asked her to at least try this sport to see if she likes it or she’ll never know and if she doesn’t she never has to play again.

Other than that – she’s in love with all of them and has talent in each sport and gets a lot of play time.

That being said – she is 10. Soccer 4 nights a week just ended and volleyball practice 4 nights a week plus 1 game a week will begin. It’s a lot. Her academics have never suffered thank goodness.

As parents – it can get exhausting but we also enjoy it as we are heavily involved. Yet, we have parent friends who only let their children play one sport and that’s because they don’t want to run them everywhere or spend the money.

I get that – but I can’t make that choice.  It's another thing I swore I'd never do as a parent.

And I realize that’s on me – and it’s from my childhood. I had athletic ability – so did my siblings. But we were poor and lived in the country and even if those two things had changed – my parents were too selfish to let us be in too many things. I was a cheerleader and in track and went to state in forensics – of which my parents never saw me do any of – not once. I found my own rides. I paid my own way.

I wanted to do so much more. The story was the same for my brothers.

If you talk to them now – they have deep regrets over what could have been and the team things they missed and the abilities they didn’t get to hone and the recognition in a small town they never received.

So today you see us all running and coaching and playing on teams of things we never got to as kids. My brothers run triathlons and do tough mudder races and just won their division in a 4 man v-ball competition.

Jesus – I’ll shut up now – this is not what I intended – but apparently I had a lot to say – I’m sorry. My main point was I just never want my kids looking back – and regretting….like I do.

5. Repeat question: Summarize your week in real life and in blog land.

Blog land has been fun. NUSSING much has been going on except my new fantastic blog design which rocks my world every time I look at it, Chinese naked massages, sex toy shop tours and more tidbits from me visiting Jenny. Good times I tell you.

Real life is good too – I enjoyed spontaneous family time without hives. I’m still not sweating. Rambo is still on vacation. We have a hometown festival all weekend. I’m still down 8 pounds. I miss Jenny. Like something fierce. I’m going through withdrawal after I got to see her last weekend.

Tootle my Skittles!

18 comments:

Laura Belle said...

I think there is NUSSING better than you! (And BYOC!)

Cat said...

It's bizarre, I have always worn both gold and silver. But within the past 6 mos or so, other than my wedding band and engagement ring, I have worn only silver. Ears, bracelets, watch, necklace etc. I only wear silver anymore. I just like it so much better.
So lovely to know you're lovin life in Care Bear land lovely! :)

Read said...

I definitely think the Cabana boy might be the way to go for that one!

I think you let your kids do whatever sports they want within the parameters of sanity - both yours and theirs. There is a point where it's is just too much - both for you getting them both (when the little one is playing them too) to all the practices and games and for them in just having too many of their hours booked - but I know we haven't hit it yet.
There have been a few times when I've not let Ted go to a give practice because he needed to do his homework. And I know school will always come first so I tend to shy away from the most intense and competitive leagues preferring to let them both play and have fun vs. be made to feel badly if the team doesn't win.

I'm looking forward to your sex talks!!

MandaPanda said...

I think as long as the CHILD wants to do all those things, then there's no harm in it assuming schoolwork doesn't suffer. I do know some parents to overschedule their kids to where the kids are just exhausted and feel too much pressure. THAT's not OK.

Elizabeth said...

I can't agree with you more on the sports thing and looking back with no regrets.... and with you post the other day about banana and Rambo. Made my heat melt because that is how I feel about my hubby and daughter - it is almost a twinge of jealousy (not really the right way to describe it - but hard to put the feeling into words). Anyway - back to sports, I think I tend to almost over involve my daughter so she has no regrets - but she seems to love it sooooo we'll just keep on doing it :)

Justawallflower said...

I always wanted to be in gymnastics, and it was always next year. Next year never came. Then I signed up for basketball 8 and 9 grade. Walked to all practices. Could have been really good. I had to quit to stay home and watch my little sisters. My kid is 7 and so far has done gymnastics, cheer, and karate. I will let her do whatever sport she wants, as many as she wants, as long as she finishes out the season and doesn't let her school be affected.

Mary said...

I am no longer a BYOC virgin. I just posted my own crazy on my blog.

Laurie said...

You always make me smile.

This crazy life of mine... said...

These were GREAT questions. It's such a fun way to get to know more about you. I just posted my BYOC too! Have a great weekend!

Ronnie said...

You're so awesome to have been through so much to rise up and be a better woman for it, Miss Drazil... you're an inspiration! :)

Amy said...

new follower! :)
http://lifeisjustbeginning2011.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

NUSSING is better than sneaking out of work early on a Friday because none of the law partners were there today! NUSSING, I tell ya, NUSSING. =)

Maria said...

I just need you to know that I've been running around all day screaming "NUSSING!" in my head. Like, every time the word came up in normal conversation, I was doing that in my head. *sigh*

Cece said...

I can tell you this - your kids will always remember that you were there at all of their sports, supporting them, running them around (sadly, the exact same way you recall your parents - not. And I'm sorry about that ...)

AutumnLeaves said...

I love your kind of crazy, Draz.

Fat in Suburbia said...

I'm a day late but had fun with this week's questions! I'm a sports Mom and through the years have adopted the 1 sport at a time philosophy. My now 22 year old was so active his school work wasn't a priority (no lectures please at least he got a soccer scholarship). With my now 12 year old we are softball only, her sport choice. She can concentrate on that sport year round and can devote the time needed for school work. Her grades are better than college boys so I might be onto something. :P

Bridget said...

My son plays basketball, and has for six years. He loves it. His first sport was taekwondo. He would probably still be in it, but they shut down the studio and we just never found a different one that we liked to enroll him in. He played baseball for one season and DID NOT like it. He is fixing to be in the marching band when school starts. AND, in order to be in basketball this year, he has to sign up for football. We have never forced him to do any of it, just let him decide to play and then figure out if he likes it or not. There were so many things I wanted to do when I was a kid, and like you, I don't want him to look back later and wonder if he would have liked it and done well well with it. As long as the grades don't suffer, and it's their choice, I'm totally support it.

Lap Band Gal said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and letting me know which dress looks best...I totally trust you with your AMAZING fashion sense! :) HUGS!