Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chipmunk giggles.

In my newfound “I don’t give a pulsating pink porcupine’s penis about much of anything” freestyle life that I’ve just learned how to live….I have found myself living more in the moment.


This one.

Like right now.

And in living in this moment like right now, I find myself being very picky about these moments.
I’m carefully choosing battles and making certain choices that even a week ago I wouldn’t have made.

Which brings me to a story about a moment and a choice.

Rambo gets up at 4am every day to get ready to go to the prison.
That means our household and all its residents are in bed about 8pm.

Early schmearly but 4am comes real quick.

One night it was 8:10. EGADS – holy dried up mouse turds – 10 minutes past the appropriate bed time!!

Rambo and I are finishing things up in the kitchen and I see that Banana (5 yr old) is still out in the living room, mysteriously searching for something.

I then hear her say, “I cannot find The Chipmunk Movie, Mom. I really need to watch it tonight.”

I knew what Rambo would say. And he didn’t let me down.

He said, “We don’t have time to look. It’s now 8:15 and I have to get to bed.
Get your tiny butt in bed.”

That normally would have been the end of it. And in fact, Banana, had already made her way to bed – satisfied with his answer.

Me?

Not satisfied. For some reason in that moment – it struck me to say to Rambo:

“Go find the movie. Pretty soon she’ll be 20 and you’d give anything to be asked to find
a Chipmunk movie for her just one more time.”

He looked at me like I was psycho and I went about finishing things up.
I never even paid attention to if he went and found her beloved movie.

Later on I knew.

Rambo and I were laying in bed. Waiting to fall asleep. Dead quiet. Pitch dark.

Until I hear giggling.

Deep in your body. Through to your heart. Felt in your stomach. Pure child joy kind of giggling.

The kind you can’t hear and not crack a smile or giggle yourself.

And then it would go quiet. And I’d imagine what part of the movie was so dang funny
that it would produce another explosive giggle when she knew she was supposed to be sleeping.

Then I’d hear it again. From two entire rooms away.

A 5 year old laughing at a movie…because she couldn’t contain herself.
And then she’d sigh contently.

I looked at Rambo and said, “Man, there’s nothing like Chipmunk giggles to end a day, is there?”

Apparently he made the choice to find his Banana her movie – even though it was 8:15pm.

Some things are just worth going to bed late for – don’t you think?

Find the moments.

Make the choices.

Listen for chipmunk giggles.

They’re everywhere….

32 comments:

Jessica said...

even though it made me cry...LOVE it!!!

Lap Band Gal said...

I love this post :)

Samantha said...

glad I'm not the only one that got teary :) Love it.

Amanda said...

damn, I have to shave my legs now! Lovely!

Ronnie said...

Aww. Now I'm gettin' teary. I love those sweet little giggles, too. :)

Elizabeth said...

Warms my heart! Love it!

Shannon said...

aww, and thats what makes me want babies so bad, because they turn into 5yr olds with chipmunk giggles!

MandaPanda said...

OK...so the biggest sap in the world here tearing up while I'm reading this at my desk. LOVE. IT.

Rachellabelle - My Hips Don't Lie said...

Awww, that is adorable!!!

Leslie said...

I need to find my chipmunk giggles. This is just a lovely post, I really need to remember this.

~Lisa~ said...

Absolutely beautiful post - thank you!! We ALL need a few chipmunk giggles in our day!! Thank you for the reminder to GIGGLE!!

Amanda Kiska said...

Ahhh....how sweet!

Kiki said...

Wow, that's a life lesson for ya... thanks for sharing this story!

Caron said...

Thank you for reminding us to pay attention to "important" things. :)

Bonnie said...

This made my eyes tear and my heart swell.....

Thanks for something so personal.....hearing my 6yr old son laugh with reckless abandon is the best sound in the world!!!!

terbear287 said...

Love it. I am too a softy. Gave me goosebumps and teary at my desk. I want to go home and watch a chipmunk movie!

I love chipmunk giggles. Thanks for the post draz!

Justawallflower said...

I freaking love this! And I need to take more chipmunk moments in my life. Appreciate these moments that won't last forever.

Barbara said...

I love this idea Draz. we should really write a how to live life charter in CHI town. I mean writing the ultimate life lesson that we have all learned over the years. .how fab would that be!!

Robyn's Nest said...

My little banana is now 24 and lives four hours away; I'd give the world to have a day back when she was five and I could save the day by finding a movie for her.....

Laura Belle said...

I chipmunck giggle at you sweetheart!

love you long time.

Jennifer said...

I really love this post.

Tickled Pink said...

You are the most awesome writer. I sooo can not wait to meet you!!!! You are one awesome possum!!!

Dawnya said...

This is an awesome post! I'm so freaking proud of you for living in the moment and enjoy the life you have. You are growing by leaps and bounds everyday!! I love you crazy lady.

Tonight my son sat in my lap eating his snack and watching Sprouts...he turned around smiled that smile and kiss me then said lub u mama.

I cherish my chipmunk giggles too.

Bodacious Boomer said...

Life is short. Stay up late from time to time. It's OK. Really.

AutumnLeaves said...

You are so wise to both recognize the importance of your daughter's needs and to cherish her little giggles. Thank you, Rambo!

Miss Vickie "The Queen Bee" said...

How sweet is that? Love it, Draz!

Sandy Lee said...

Thanks for this.

vickyd said...

Amen, sista! Thanks for the reminder to appreciate the important things in life!

Joanna said...

What an amazing post... you're so right.. LOVE ME SOME CHIPMONK GIGGLES!!

Beth Ann said...

What a fabulous stary, Draz. Thank you.

Cece said...

Awwww ....What a sweetie-pie post ! :)

Read said...

OH I so love this post!!!