Friday, September 2, 2011

BYOC - Bring Your Own Crazy!

It’s Friiiday here in Care Bear Land and I’m power farting gumdrops galore cuz all afternoon I’m going shopping (see you soon Jenny). For now though – let’s get to BYOC.


BYOC – Bring Your Own Crazy….5 little questions we ask to get to know each other better and to give our blogging brains a break. Copy and paste to your own blog and enjoy!

1. If you have a camera and have the time – take the contents of your purse out – and take a picture of said contents and explain them. If you don’t have time or a camera – please describe the contents of your purse.

• Wow. Are you ready for this?

Cell phone, multiple lip glosses, way too many pens, teal snakeskin wallet, notebook for grocery lists, day planner, plastic envelope noted for any return receipts, plastic envelope noted for any deposits to make, plastic enveloped noted for any receipts not yet entered in my journal, clutch holding necessities such as deodorant, file, toothpicks, floss, tylenol, clippers, ponytail holders, etc, migraine meds, ID for work, kleenex, lint roller, gum, clutch containing medical cards and things like store punch cards and such…and I think that’s it.

Whew. It’s not as bad as I thought but I don’t carry a purse. I carry a suitcase.

2. Repeat question: I’m going to pick a person not knowing if you have a relationship with this person or if the person even exists and you try to describe the person in 5 words or short sentences.


• Your kindergarten teacher

Kind
Beautiful
Long brown hair
Compassionate
Amazing smile

3. What’s your favorite guilty pleasure / trashy TV show you like to watch?

I love me some trashy TV. It’s reedick but it makes me forget the rest of the world and laugh at how stupid some other people are. I’m not sure it’s trashy TV but I’m addicted to tons of dumb shows like Jerseylicious, Hoarding, Intervention, Downsized, Heavy, Sons of Anarchy, Private Practice, Brothers and Sisters, Greys….cripes – my DVR nearly overheats most nights of the week and then on the weekends I sit and catch up until the wee hours of the morning and sleep in until 10am.

4. A lot of you told me about your first day of school experiences when I posted about how my 5 year old going to kindergarten wasn’t causing me too much heartache. So now I’m officially asking – tell me about one of your first day of school experiences that sticks out in your mind the most. Who put you on the bus? Did you ride the bus? Did your parents take pics? Did they walk you into school? Drive you there? Cook you breakfast?

You’d think I’d be over this right? I was. I guess I just need reassurance.

In my house – here’s how it goes. The tradition is this:

The night before I braid Watermelon’s hair (so she wakes up and it’s curly). I help pick out their clothes. I talk about their excitement. I help pack the backpacks. I fill out the bazillion pieces of paper the school needs.

The morning of the first day Rambo gets them up. He either makes them breakfast or takes them out. He takes their picture. Helps them with whatever they need and walks them into their classrooms.

Both my girls had wonderful days yesterday. In talking to my sister and mother I was telling them that Rambo took them out for breakfast and what I got was a guilt trip – for not going too.

Why didn’t you go? Why didn’t you take them? You could have taken off of work.
Yup. Could have. But I didn’t. It’s the tradition. The day of is Rambo’s tradition. The night before is mine. I’m okay with that. Why do I have to defend it? Is it because they are “girls” you think the “mom” has to be the one to do everything? Is it because my father did nothing that you can’t comprehend someone else’s father being so involved? Why can’t you be overjoyed he takes such an active role? Why is it just about the bad parent I am?

Or maybe I’ve made myself emotionally unavailable to my girls because it’s what I know…and because Rambo so effortlessly fills the gaps.

I don’t understand. My kids got to school with smiles on their faces. Not a tear was shed. They had great days. We have pictures. Hugs and kisses and “I’m proud of you’s” were everywhere.

How can the way it went down be questioned by anyone – who doesn’t live in my shoes?

And why the f*ck can I care so much about what they say that I’m actually blogging about it?

Ugh.

5. Repeat question: Summarize your week in real life and in blog land.


Real life has been emotional. Obviously – see above. Sorry about that. Feel free to ignore me and roll your eyes. I’m like a broken record when it comes to being judged about my parenting by parents who were less than perfect themselves.

Jenny has kept me sane calling me and emailing me about fun stuff and laughing and sending me pics of my girls from when I was at her house.

Yesterday the phone rang and I saw it was her and I never even said hello. I just shouted into the phone, “WHY DON’T YOU LIVE HERE?”

Apparently we’ve gotten to the part in our relationship where greetings aren’t necessary.

Blog life is good – still a bit slow as everyone is busy with school starting but the Chicago excitement is booming!

And did I mention I’m shopping all afternoon today? Woot! Woot!

15 comments:

Laura Belle said...

Yes, you are right....you carry a freaking suitcase! lol. I started laughing at the 'organization' of it all...envelope for deposits, etc. I just love you to little organized and color coded pieces!!

And don't worry about the parents judging the parents thing. I think some people just grow up to judge other people, it's like their thrill or some BS like that. My grandma judges EVERYTHING I do, putting her 2 cents in all the time. I now just ignore her and tell her that i'm doing it MY way. That shuts her up!

MandaPanda said...

Jesus H Christ! How big is your purse?!?!? I have a wallet, checkbook, lipstick, emergency lady items, cell phone and a pen. End of list.

Hmmm...I think most of the pressure about parentings comes from yourself. I feel guilty constantly about stuff but I don't think it's because other people make me feel that way...I think it's just part of being a mom.

Ronnie said...

My bff yells random things into the phone when I call him, too. Weird! lol

I think it's awesome that Rambo wants to do things with them. Absolutely nobody wanted to drop me off on my first day of school. Damnit man.

Fat in Suburbia said...

You must be carrying a suitcase good gawd woman! I think Rambo's traditions are sweet :)

Rachellabelle - My Hips Don't Lie said...

I think it's wonderful that you take an equal part in their life. I know way too many people that grew up in a mother dominant/father absent household. I would have loved to have a father there to do ANYTHING with me. Your kidlets are blessed. It's wonderful that they have a loving father and a father to love. There's no need for you to feel guilty.

Read said...

yes - your suitcase totally wins!! And parents just suck sometimes. My mom had Jackson the other night and poor jack was over tired and missing me so that translated for him into upset stomach - so there he is hunched over a bucket vomiting and crying and my mom does what??? you might ask?? she yells at him to keep it down. Because she knows he's not sick sick, that it's in his head. Well yes it is, but the boy did in fact just vomit. Hold it together for 12 more hours and you'll never have to deal with him again. I overheard her while talking to jack on his phone - bitch - I swaer to god - she's usualy compltely wonderful with them - they love love love her - but she can't handle this thing about jack apparently. okay - done - bitch. See.. sometimes parents just suck and we just have to do what is right for us and our families and let them have all their negativity. If that brings them peace or joy or whateverthefuck it brings them - so be it.

Just like in your family - our tradition has always always always been that Brad takes the boys to the first day of everything. It's always been that way and it always will be that way - the rest of the world can just kiss my ass!!

Cat said...

A - I have actually seen your purse (well, two of them anyway) in real life and yes, they are large, but they are SO AWESOME!! :) /nod /nod

B - I absolutely love that Rambo has his traditions with the girls. Someday far in the future Watermelon and Banana will be blogging like by looking at a screen and thinking of what they want to say and it will magically appear ... what? it's the future damn it! Anyway! They'll be blogging about how they always remember mom braiding hair and picking out clothes and being excited with them, and they also remember dad walking them into class and how they have these happy memories of mom and dad loving each other and them. Damnit Lady you've got me all teary again. No snot today though, just little tears stinging the corners of my eyes. Tons of love for you and your loving family! :) *purple hearts today with an orange gumdrop in the center* /nod

Carmen said...

lovely back to school tradition that your girls will remember forever xoxo

~Lisa~ said...

Think of it this way, Daddy's need their "special time" too - it's not always about Mom, and that is a good thing! I had special time with my Dad that will remain with me forever... It's all good!

AutumnLeaves said...

I love that the girls' daddy has his traditions with them too.

Joanna said...

After writing my own recollection of my kids' first day of school - I realized, I don't even remember it.

How f'in sad is that?

It's been 7 years since my Peanut started kindergarten, and I don't remember that first day.

It made me really sad at first...and then I thought "Is my child permanently scarred because I don't remember that first day of school?" Of course not!!

There are some things that some people make a big deal out of, and some that don't. I'm one of the "don't" apparently. I don't think it says ANYTHING about my parenting skills.... I'm still a great mother, and my kids love me. I know without a shadow of a doubt that your girls are the exact same way.

I'd love to be able to create a poll to men who would like to have that type of tradition with their kids on the first day of school. I guarentee there are plenty of men out there that get pushed to the side on the first day of school - and other important days. I think it's WONDERFUL the arrangement that you and Rambo have.

Your girls are very lucky - they have amazing parents... don't EVER question that because of what anyone else says.

Bodacious Boomer said...

If you're not hooked on Maury, you haven't yet spiraled down to the bottom of the trash heap. You've still got a ways to go kiddo.:)

mommykinz said...

I think your first day of school traditions are wonderful. I wish my husband took a more active role in the first day of school. I don't know if I could miss it though. I LOVE LOVE being with my babies every morning and greeting them as they get off the bus (but I'm glad they're gone for a few hours in between).
Thanks for another great BYOC - I finally added it to my blog.

A Bravo TrashTVAddict said...

oooh and whatcha get whilst shopping?!

signed:

Dawnya said...

You rock as a parent. Your girls love you. Those who don't understand the traditions in your house can suck a big fat black thinaling!!!

Your purse sounds as large as mine...Charles hates to hold it...says it's to heavy.