Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day 2 of the Birthday Suckhole Extravaganza!

The second installment to my Birthday Suckhole Extravaganza is being written by my dear friend Laura Belle over at Beer, Dogs and Getting Healthier.  Her blog name alone is reason enough to love her (pssstt...go check it out).  Beyond that - she's just thebomb.com.  I love this skinny little woman more than I can say.  I asked her to write about balance and I'm honored she accepted my request. 
Thank you Miss Laura Belle.  

************************************************************ 


Well, well, well. How y’all doin’? Yes, I really do talk/type in twang because I am from the boonies. You’ll get used to it. So, y’all are doin’ great? Havin’ a fabulous day? Yup, me too. I’m doing just craptastic. Actually, I’m having a straight up panic attack right now. To be completely honest I’ve had said panic attack since last Thursday. Why, do you ask? Well, because the amazing, gorgeous, shoe-loving, skinnyass, gumdrop farting Queen Drazil emailed me a simple little request on Thursday and asked if I’d do a pretty little guest posttoasty for her Birthday Suckhole Extravaganza.

Immediately I thought, WHAT? Have you lost your mind, woman? Me? You want ME? Holy crap. Once the shock of the horror honor she asked started to fade then the excitement came. I couldn’t wait to figure out what I wanted to write about and how to word it and if I’d just blow y’all’s mind with my thrilling written word! SO Excited!! That only lasted about 5 minutes, if that. Then the panic rolled in like a dump truck driver on steroids.

So what does any normal, sane, calm woman do? She screeches to her husband in high pitched incomprehensible tones and blurts out this: What do I write about??? What if I suck??? What if I get writers block??? All I write about on my blog is random bullshit!! I can’t write about random BS on Draz’s blog!!! She has like hundreds of followers!!! I have to write about something astounding. Like serious ‘come to Jesus’ first class spectacular!!! HELP MEEEEEeeeee!!!!

His response to my crazypants ramblings: “Laura, if what you write about on your blog is random BS, then you should write about random BS. It’s what and who you are. Don’t change who you are just to please people you don’t even know. You’ll do great doing what you always do.”

Sometimes he is soooo right. But I’d never tell him that. Right, girls? Right.

So that’s what I’m going to write about. Randomness. Because that’s me. I am random. I think about 2641 thoughts per second and multitask better than a hooker on speed on $1.00 night.

While thinking about me being so random and scatterbrained, this teeny tiny thought popped into my brain….How do I ever find balance while being so, well, out there all the time?

Hummmm, good question.

Finding balance to eat right and exercise and be healthy and buy shoes and sparkle is hard work. Really hard work.

First, I’d like to tell you that I do not have any kids. Yet. Well, I take that back. I do have a spoiled rotten ‘child’, but he walks on all fours and sheds a small sheep every summer. Meet Wyatt:



Those are not booties on his paws. That is sticky gooey stanky cow pasture pond mud. This is my life.

Anyways, what was I talking about…..oh yeah, I don’t have kids. See, I told you I’m scatterbrained. So, not having any kids, I don’t have the responsibilities that some of you superhero women have, like Draz, with packed lunches, soccer games, runny noses, and science fair projects all while trying to eat better and be healthy. You women are amazing by the way, and when I do pop out a small human I hope I can be just like you. (And not be all psychosauce screaming down the street naked.) I just have my little job, my giant husband (he really is a giant, it’s cool), and my dog. Easy peezy, right?? I should just be the healthiest person in the world, right? Because I have all the time in the world.

Not so. My life is crazy hectic. I’m sure, just like some of you readers. It’s difficult to work a 9 or 10 hour shift, come home, cook dinner, feed the dog, pick up the house a little, maybe work in the garden, check Facebook (priorities people), and by then it’s 9 o’clock and all you want to do is face plant your mattress.

When do I fit in that run? When can I prepare 5 days worth of healthy lunches for work? WHEN?

Well, we all have to find that illusive little ho-bag called balance.

For me, balance is about knowing what my limits or restrictions are. Once I find those out, then I can simplify the juggling of time and energy to finding the balance of a crazy life and being healthier. For instance, I am a morning person. Kinda. What I mean is I would rather work out in the morning before work (really before anyone is up to see me work out because I look reedonkulous while working out), then it’s over and done with and I don’t have to worry about ‘fitting’ it in after work. But, right now, I’m getting up at 5:30am to get to work early. Dontcha just love overtime. So if I wanted to work out in the morning that would mean getting up at 4:30. IN. THE. MORNING. People, it wasn’t that long ago I was going to bed at that time. Me and 4:30…..we just don’t work. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve tried. I set my alarm for 4:15 every morning, but end up hitting snooze till 5:30. Pathetic I know. Don’t judge.

So! My restriction/limit there is that I just can’t get up to work out in the early morning hours. That means I HAVE to fit it in after work. Ok, I can do that. And that led me to finding another limit, I will not work out if I just stuffed my face with…..a salad. Or nachos. Whatever. I just can’t. I cannot force my ample pooper off the couch if my belly’s full. That means that I have to run immediately right after work, pre-dinner.

I’ve gotten in the mindset that if I literally jump into my sneakers the minute I walk in the door that I will make it back out the door for a run. I also have a little ‘cheat’ too, I’ve been training Wyatt to run with me, which he absolutely loves, so if I get home and say, “Wanna go for a run?” he is balls to the wall excited and then I HAVE to go because I can’t let him down.

Another limit in the healthier eating department is that if I don’t make my lunches for the week ahead of time, I tend to eat crap. Usually on Monday night, because Monday’s lunch is Sunday’s left overs, I make up a big thing of salad, I cook 4 chicken breasts and cut them up, I hard boil eggs, I also baggy 3 ounces of sliced turkey and measure out baggies of whole almonds for the week. Then I buy yogurt and apples and I’m set. I know, not really jazzy on the meal selection, but I tend to eat the same thing for weeks.

Once I work in the running and healthy eating, all that other shenanigans that is my life just falls into place. The house cleaning, gardening, blogging, my photography business….it all fits in after my run. Maybe finding balance is also finding your priorities. Running should be a priority. Eating right should be a priority. And priorities always find a way of getting done.

Ok, this is getting long enough. The trick, for me, in finding balance for a healthier lifestyle is to figure out what I can and can’t do, what my limits are, what my priorities are and then fitting that healthier approach to life in there somewhere. It’s not pretty, but it’s working. It’s really hard. But the reward will be so much sweeter because it was hard. At least I hope it will.

And to my beautiful friend Draz: You are quite possibly one of the most kind, genuine, sweet, hilarious, amazing women I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing, let alone becoming friends with. You have added a joy to my life that I didn’t think I’d ever find through a friendship. Thank you. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

**********************************

I love you Laura Belle!

12 comments:

Fat in Suburbia said...

Awesome post! Love me some Laura Belle!

Laura Belle said...

I love you too Draz!!! I hope your week is the bestest ever!!!

Dawnya said...

Great post sweetie!! I love your scatterbrained post. They make you who you are. Finding balance is the hardest thing to do. I think we just have to do the best we can with what we have. If that means we only workout 2 or 3 days a week...well so be it.

Ronnie said...

"And not be all psychosauce screaming down the street naked."

I bet you all laughed at that? It's really happened to me. Being a mama is actually that embarrassing! lol

Am I alone in that?

Lyla said...

I love both of you!

Rachellabelle - My Hips Don't Lie said...

You and Draz are always so much fun to read. I can only imagine what a blast it would be to have the both of you in the same room.

Jen said...

It's hard? WHAT? I thought you were going to give me some magic formula. HARD? I want easy! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

Serioulsy, this was great. Love the post.
Love you both.
Hugs,
Jenny

Miss April said...

Great post! Knowing limits and restrictions.... ugh if only there was a flashing light every time we were faced with tempting options... RESTRICTION! NO!!! STAY AWAY! That's what I need sometimes.

Balance - it's a mother fucker.

Sandy Lee said...

I lose my balance all the time! But usually it involves wine. Love you. Hope you take the day off work on Wednesday. You know call in sick.

Cat said...

What a great guest post! I adore Laura too and very glad she's on your Suckhole Extravaganza. And wow...I got a Wyatt sighting on YOUR blog!! So happy! *happy dance*

Also Happy Birthday week darlin.

Laurie said...

I like this Laura, she sounds like you, no wonder you guys are friends. Now, I have to go over and stalk out her blog.
Another HBD!! to you.

Karen Butler Ogle said...

Great post, Laura. It is all about finding our priorities. I lose mine sometimes and then everything is harder. Keeping focused on what is really important to me seriously lowers my anxiety level and that is always a good thing.