Friday, December 2, 2011

BYOC...Bring Your Own Crazy!

It’s Friday so it’s time for BYOC – Bring Your Own Crazy! We answer a few questions in order to get to know each other better and to give our blogging brains a break! Copy to your own blog if you wish and ENJOY!


Let’s do a little themed version of where you live and why!

1. Describe the structure you live in. (apartment, condo, house, mansion, cardboard box?)

I live in a 2 story, 5 bedroom split foyer home….which means when you walk in my front door you are on a landing and you can go up to the main living area or down the lower living area.

2. Describe the city you live in. (population, main attractions)

I live in a town that has less than 1000 people. 99% of them wear deer hunting orange clothes year round and have three rifles in their 4x4 jacked up trucks. The women all sit around rolling their eyes. There are more bars than people…almost. There are enough churches to negate all the bars and 95% of the town is Catholic. We have one school and the classes have about 20-25 kids in them.

Both Rambo's family and mine mostly live here or within a few minutes of here so that's another reason we stay here.

It is a HUGE understatement when I say everyone knows everyone. It is small town Podunk USA.  It's the kind of place where most days I get home from work and my kids are gone for hours...at the neighbors.  And the kind of place where small children and women walk alone at any time of day or night - because crime is literally nonexistent.

And I love it. Most of the time.

3. Why do you live in the town you live in? (job, to get away from a different town, family, schools?)

We live here first because both Rambo and I were born here. My parents were born here. We both have good jobs here. The small schools are nice and neither of us likes big cities. Rambo has been all around the world due to his last job and he always says everything he ever needs is right here where we are.

We are literally less than 2-3 hours away from HUGE cities and there are prestigious colleges less than 15 minutes away where most kids from here end up going. And there’s a bar and a church within walking distance of my house….it’s freaking Paradise.

Why would we ever leave?

4. What’s the view like from your backyard?

This is going to sound odd but if you look into my backyard you’ll see the usual – clothesline, play set, sandbox, landscaping and shed….but if you let your eyes go beyond that – you see a cemetery and headstones and grand religious statues.

In fact, the reason Rambo and I got this house is because the previous owner was sure it was haunted by the spirits in the cemetery. It creeped her out enough to make her leave.

For me? It’s the opposite. It’s perspective. The gravesites right in my viewline are in a new part of the cemetery – so they are recent deaths. Which also means they are heavily visited graves. I see people standing at their loved ones sites constantly – putting things there like balloons and flowers, sometimes sitting, sometimes alone, sometimes with a whole crowd, sometimes laughing and sometimes crying.

It’s a constant reminder of the briefness of life to me. And a constant reminder that I have a lot to be grateful for – because I’m not one of them standing on a grave site.

Just over the hill is my Grandma’s grave and I go there quite often. She’s right there….and it brings me comfort.

And really - we have the best neighbors in the world.  They are quiet and don't cause any trouble....um cuz they aren't alive.

5. Repeat question: How has your week been in blogland and in real life?

Blogland and real life were quite interconnected for me this week. I was very introspective and contemplative and had a lot of long talks with Jenny and myself and that always flows into my writing here.

I was pretty dark and gloomy in general but it’s always dark before someone turns a light on so I also feel a sense of calm and peace that I haven’t felt in months.

Okay – your turn! Go do BYOC! You know you want to!  (yes, bestie - that means YOU!  lol)

12 comments:

Banded Mommy (Angie) said...

I think we would do just fine in a town like that. Its a place that I would love just to be in :)

mommykinz said...

Your backyard sounds beautiful. I don't mind the graveyard at all, sounds peaceful.
Great BYOC this week.

Laura Belle said...

Ahhhhh, small towns. I think this is the one thing we differ on. I absolutely despise them. Well, not really, I just despise one small in particular, that I grew up in. It was like Alfred Hitchcock, Twilight Zone, Valley Girl, and NPR rodeo all mixed in one. Crazypants.

But I would die, DIE, to live in the country...possibly next to a small town. I do want my kids to grow up in a small town, just not the one where i'm from.

That little light is going to shine bright any time now, I just know it!! HUGS!

Elizabeth said...

Good BYOC! I bet the cemetery is peaceful - especially if you have a loved one there!! It is nice to feel "watched over".

PS totally did a some Christmas shopping after the grocery store and left the gift in the back seat..... and then we got in the car to go to school! WHOOPS!

terbear287 said...

my junior and senior year of high school we lived EXACTLY!!!! next door to a cemetery (my step dad used to say the neighbors were dying to visit, hahaha I know) We had a couple awesome Halloween parties in the basement of that rental. Now my step-dad is there forever (love ya Keith) Probably haunting the shiz out of the new tenants....lol..hahahah....oh dear lord that would crack me up....go daddy K!!!!

I swear though at the time if I would be ready to go to sleep at midnight, I ALWAYS waited until 12:01am

Cat said...

I never remember living in a small town. I guess we kind of did when I was a child, but even so I am positive we didn't know all of our neighbors.

Must be a very interesting life living in a place where everyone knows everyone and still remembers when Sally Sue pee'd her pants in 1st grade. :)

Cece said...

I like graveyards. I think I like the 'resting' of rest in peace they bring :)

Amy said...

you didn't kill the neighbors, did you?! ;)

FitBy40 said...

I used to live down the street from a cemetery, and it didn't bother me one bit. Sort of peaceful if you as me!

Joanna said...

Great BYOC, like always!! Sounds to me like you live in quite an awesome little town.

My questions are answered and posted. :)

Ronnie said...

I used to go walking in our local cemetery when I lived on my own, because like you there was LITERALLY one behind my house. Like you, I found it very peaceful and gave me a good perspective about life. :)

Bodacious Boomer said...

I think my choice would be directly affected by how much he pissed me off the day before.