Monday, December 5, 2011

Lion or Lover?

How about it?  Devoured and eaten alive by a lion until your soulmate is dead, dead, dead OR give your soulmate life AND a new lover?

I'm not making sense, am I?

Okay - the other day I heard two DJs talking on the radio about some old tale that really intrigued me.  I'm sure I have some of the deets wrong but the jist of it is this.

Let's say you find your soulmate and you become lovers.  With one little caveat. 

You're not supposed to be lovers or soulmates or anything for that matter.  For whatever reason - be it social class or that you are already spoken for or whatever - it is illegal and wrong for you to be lovers with said soulmate.

So....you are given a choice by the powers that be.

Your lover will be put in an arena.  There will be two doors.  Behind one door is a lion.  Behind the other is a gorgeous woman - a new lover for your soulmate.

You get to chooose.  Choose the lion and your soulmate is dead.  Choose the lover and you must live seeing  your soulmate love another.

Sooooo - dead or alive? 

Pick your poison as they say.

Interesting, isn't it?

I've contemplated this conundrum for a while and I have no idea what my answer is.  Frankly the thought of either door for Rambo makes me break out in hives.  I'd like to call the radio station and yell at them like some crazy person on a meth binge for even putting this scenario out there for my little brain to think about.

Cuz, um well - it's just yucky.

What say you, my most intelligent followers?  Which door do you choose?  Is it an easy choice?

I'm dying to know.  Do tell.

20 comments:

MizFit said...

whoa.
too early and made my brain explode.
Ill be back.
which would I pick? I CAN NOT SAY.

MandaPanda said...

Door #2. I'd rather see hubby happy with someone else than dead. It would suck for me but as long as the other woman was a redhead, I'd know he'd be in heaven!

Jen said...

Easy - New Lover. If you really love a person, you want them to be happy, no matter the pain it puts you through.

I know what you'd choose, even if you don't.

terbear287 said...

I agree with the others. Door #2 alive with someone else (as long as she made him happy)instead of dead. Then I would move far, far, far away!!!

Beth Ann said...

I haven't met my soulmate yet, but I feel like I would absolutely choose Door #2. I would never want to see someone I love die, especially (essentially) at my hand, even if the alternative is miserable for me.

Thank goodness it isn't a real choice. Yikes, now I'm half depressed! :)

Later Never Exists said...

Did you ever take into consideration that maybe that person isn't your soulmate at all if you were forced to make that decision? I figured since you're trying to twist all of our brains up I'd twist a few out there's too. :)

However, in the spirit of answering the question, I would go with #2. Again, heartbreaking, but I'd rather someone I love be alive than dead, even if that meant we couldn't be together.

RockBand Barbie said...

Well if he was my soulmate then I know for sure he wouldn't want another lover, so I say door #1. Any lover of mine would rather be eaten alive than have a replacement:)

Fab Kate said...

I don't believe we have just one soulmate, and I think this question must assume the same, else the new lover wouldn't be an issue. Since I'd have a hard time wishing anyone dead (even my ex-husband) I'd say lover. I know I'd get over it and get on with life with a clear conscience that way. Having someone killed? Not so much.

Ducky said...

Um.... you chose for me. Mmm K? I like that idea better. :O)

Losing It said...

I'd pick a new lover. It'd suck, but I'd rather have him alive than dead.

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

New lover for him. Ugh. Hate even typing that.

Joanna said...

So easy - I'd pick door #2..and then secretly have an affair with him. I'm not a cheater - but if it was my soul mate to begin with, technically I wouldn't be doing anything wrong.

I'm sure we'd be able to find a way to see each other - and if we're truly soul mates, then he'd feel the same way. If he doesn't - then not my soul mate.

Oh, and how come we don't get a new man in the deal? Not very fair, if you ask me.

Cat said...

Yep, as much as I'd hate him not being with me anymore, I couldn't stand the thought of a world without G in it. I would go for the new lover for him. I've told him more than once I think if for some reason he ever wanted to leave me, I would just be so upset that he didn't want to be with me anymore. He's my best friend and I really just want him to be happy. Even if it means I'm miserable.

Also perhaps I can find Jude Law then. /nod :)

*sparkle hearts w/hot shoes*

Barbara said...

Lover lover lover.. not into lion mawling..

Karen Butler Ogle said...

I would let Dail go if he wanted his freedom. I couldn't stand to see him lose his life even if I couldn't be with him.

Stephanie said...

By chance is there a door number three, where you all just have a polyamorous relationship and are ALL happy? :)

Strawberry Confessions said...

I teach a story The Lady or the Tiger with the same premise. My students' reactions are always interesting.

Leanne said...

wow. this blew my mind. I know you 'get' what anxiety is, and that is my number one and almost only anxiety in life (to an irrational point), being left by my lover. That said, I could never hurt my soulmate, deliberately anyway, and allowing them to love someone else would hurt me immensely, but I have to say that I'd rather hurt myself. And deep down I'd truly think that he could never really love anyone else and would long for me too...

Lucy said...

I would give him the sexy lady... I love him that much. Him not being on their earth for our children would pain me.

Marcella said...

This is so intriguing. I read this originally right after you posted it and was dead set that I would never wish someone dead. I would much rather know that my love was alive. Between when you posted this and today, I found out some information that my ex was cheating on me...it hurts so much. Without a doubt at this moment I choose Lion.