Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Does believing a psychic make you change your destiny?

Yesterday’s post about seeing psychics and religion and people shoving it down your throat sparked some great comments. And it made me want to talk about this mystical world again today.

One of my commenters mentioned that she didn’t like psychics because people may make what the psychic said come true – to fullfil the word.

You can go back and read the comment but in summary – a woman was told by a psychic that she’d soon marry and have a kid. And so she did. She rushed into a marriage and had a baby and it was bad from the beginning…and they divorced later.

If she had never been told by a psychic that she’d marry soon and have a baby – would she have married “that guy”? Did the psychic put the “idea” in her head? Did the woman work to make it come true instead of letting life play out? Wouldn’t most humans do what she did?

I have my own real life psychic story too. Not for me – but a friend of mine. And it’s creepy and weird and sad and happy all at once.

Friends of ours were married for the second time to each other. They had no kids together and were hitting their 40s. The woman wanted kids BUT she didn’t know if she could get pregnant. Most doctors already told her that her chances were slim. She decided to go to a psychic she’d seen many times before and ask so she could be sure.The psychic told her that she would indeed have kids. In fact, she’d have two – twins. One would be a little girl with golden hair and blue eyes.

That very week her and her husband went forward with paying the $10,000 it cost to have his vasectomy reversed to begin trying to have kids. She believed the psychic with everything in her.

It didn’t work. His sperm count was too low from being snipped too long and his age was a factor. They would never be pregnant. They were devastated.

And I suppose right now is when you’d want to strangle the psychic for giving them false hope? Or like us – we wanted to strangle our friends for spending $10k for something that had a low probability of working – all based on a psychic’s words.

BUT – the story doesn’t end there. Today?

They have two kids. Twins in fact.

One is a girl with golden hair and blue eyes.

They adopted a few years later.

And so it seems the psychic was right. But like the story of my commenter…the fact is that they’d be $10,000 richer had they not tried to force what the psychic said into happening.

Kind of creepy isn’t it?

So – my questions are these. Do you think if a psychic you trusted told you that you’d be married soon – would you assume it’d be with the person you are already with and would you close your mind off to any other scenarios? Same with the kid thing? If a psychic told you that you’d have babies when medical professionals said you wouldn’t – would you assume it’d be from a pregnancy of your own? If a psychic told you that tragedy would strike someone you love – would you live in constant fear of that tragedy – and unknowingly create that tragedy?

Is it better to let life be unknown and let destiny play itself out? If you could have a free reading – what would you ask? I mean seriously. I thought about this yesterday and there are some things I don’t ever want to know.I don’t want to know how or when Rambo and I will leave this world, or my children or anyone I love. I don’t want to ask if I’ll remain “happy” – because I want to create my own happy every day. I don’t even want to know if I’ll change jobs or move or anything.

Those are life’s surprises that make us stronger once we’re through them I think. So what would I want to ask and know?

I’d want my Grandma who died of Alzheimer’s to come through so I could tell her I’m sorry for not loving the person she was behind the disease. I’d want my other Grandma to come through who died as I read a poem aloud to her and I’d want to know if that gave her comfort?

I’d mostly want to hear from my Uncle who took his own life at the age of 22. I’d like to tell him I forgive him – decades later…even though that’s not quite true.

And some silly things. Like will Rambo receive a promotion that he’s been reaching for? Will we travel? Will we have 15 grandchildren? Will I one day live in a log cabin inches from Jenny and will we spend most days in rocking chairs on the porch?

Fun stuff that I don’t think can hurt anyone. But then again, who knows?

What do you think? Is the course of your life altered unconsciously if you see a psychic and believe the words? Is that playing with fate and destiny? Is it a slap in the face to blind faith in a Supreme Being?

 Is it wrong or right?

Please discuss. I’m dying to hear your answers about what you’d want to know and how you feel about it. I thought I knew how I felt about it before yesterday’s post and your comments and now I’m not sure.

How about you?

18 comments:

Stephanie said...

Life is all about choices and free will. That is one of the things God gave all people. We never make all the correct choices, but if you are religious, you put your faith in God to help guide you.

For those who feel they are desperate, they may chose to look elsewhere for quidance and that is THEIR choice. Some psychics are quacks just out to scam people, but many, many people are blessed 9or cursed) with the ability to connect with another realm or forsee the future. It is up to us, using our free will, to chose to believe what they say, but even more so to decide if we are going to live our lives BASED on what a stranger says is ONE outcome of our lives. You can change your future...that is free will.

On a side note, I went to a psychic in college and I was very good in not giving too much information or anything like that. She told me that in a few months I would meet 3 men who were very influential on my life. 4 months later, I met Simon LeBon, John Taylor and Nick Rhodes from Duran Duran....and yes, they were a major influence on my life :)

Chubby McGee said...

The way genuine mediums/psychics work isn't cut and dry. They can't always "predict the future" and almost every time, the messages they receive are coded or...cloudy. The messages come across a lot as images of items so it's not exactly as if the spirits are saying "you're going to die of lung cancer at the age of 87." So...the messages are most likely going to be interpreted differently by all parties involved in the session. That being said, it's kind of like reading a poem in a class full of intellects. Each person may perceive something different about the main point.

I'd take everything that's said during a session and see if/when it comes to fruition. Just listen to what the spirits say and put it in a little filing cabinet in the back of your brain until the day it pops up and comes true. Never plan your life around what is said by a medium/psychic. It's not fair to the living to do that and it would be kind of sick of the medium/psychic to make you believe that's what you're supposed to do.

I also wouldn't ask the spirits of anything. They are bound by laws, too, and can't dish out all the secrets. Plus, some things are better left unknown.

Maren said...

"a psychic you trusted" - there is no such thing. I have absolutely no belief in this.. No one can tell what the future brings, as long as there is free will things will always change.

As for the self-fulfilling prophecy.. that's another matter. If someone tells you that something will happen, and you make it happen.. well, I'd still say you made it happen from free will.

Kesha said...

I have actually been to a psychic. She is a very Godly woman who chooses to use her gift for good not evil. She will tell you that what she is sharing with you is your future as it lies today and you can change it or make it anything you want it to be. That is the beauty of what she is doing. The intent is to help you with a difficult decision or seeing something more clearly.

I personally have always taken what she had told me and simply stored it for reference. I do not think that a weak minded person should see a psychic as they might alter their actions to match what they are being told. I have found it to be more of a confirmation than a revelation.

The particular lady that I have seen is very careful in what she does as to not tell you things she thinks you cannot handle or will not use the right way. She strives to be a consultant for good to help you better your life.

I believe 100 %. But I think its one of those things you have to experience to believe!

Karen Butler Ogle said...

I don't know if I believe it psychics or not but I'm skeptical. I do know that I DON"T want to know what is coming. Living life with expectations for certain things to happen isn't the way to a happy life, in my opinion.

terbear287 said...

I had my cards read right after I found out I was pregnant. I had not told anyone. He told me I was pregnant and I was glowing. We had been trying for quite some time. Then his face went funny and he changed the subject. I wanted to hear about my baby and my future. Turns out he picked up on the guilt I had for an indiscretion. I have no excuse for the mistake I made that one night but it did create doubt that this baby might not be my husbands. He did tell me that I would have the opportunity to have a child. I lost that baby at 10 weeks. I had another miscarriage after that and then finally became pregnant with my daughter with no guilt or question. I later divorced.

I have no regrets for my life path. It is my life path I forge my own trail. I am curious about what someone might say now, but just for shits and giggles.

So I believe that he saw something. He told me later the reason he stopped was because his sister my friend was in the room and he wasn't sure what she knew.

I would do it again. I am curious but like you Draz I don't want to know about death of my family or anything like that.

Kelly said...

I've been to a psychic - more than one, actually. And I am also Catholic. And wouldn't you know it - I haven't been struck by lightning or stoned to death by godless infidels. Aint that something? :-)

MandaPanda said...

Hmmmm...very interesting theory and I think there probably is truth to it. I do find it eerie about the blond hair and blue eyes thing.

I don't know if I'd ever TRUST a psychic. I mean...if they're a friend then I'd trust them as much as I'd trust any friend but I think I'm too cynical to just buy into it all. All my questions would be silly ones as I don't want to know the really important ones - Will we ever be financially stable? WIll I live near the ocean again? How many grandchildren will I have? Stuff like that.

Janis said...

People believe other people who tell them what they want to hear. Whether they hang a shingle out that says "psychic" or not doesn't matter. A priest could have told them "Trust in God and go ahead," and they would have done it.

JOURNEE KAPRI said...

hmmm...I personally don't believe in psychics but I am not going to say I haven't been curious. I quit playing around with that kind of stuff when I had a very scary experience when I used to read tarot cards for people. Things like that are much deeper than people think, but everyone is free to do what they want.

I chose to stay away from it because you never know what unseen forces you are letting into your life when you mess with that stuff.

Beth Ann said...

I enjoy psychic readings every once in a while, but never once did I take them seriously. In fact, if ANY of them would have been true, I would be married by now. Ha!

Although the last one I had in New Orleans last year said that I would be single forever. But she also told my BFF that she would meet somebody and be hurt in the next year and unless she is seriously withholding info, that didn't happen.

To each their own, I say. But for me, I don't believe a reading would change my choices.

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

The big question is would my sister have gone through with the marriage anyway if the psychic would have told her not only what she wanted to hear, but the ENTIRE story, what her life married to this man would be.

I can't believe my comment sparked ANOTHER debate! Deep thoughts!!

Sarah G said...

Like I said before I've not been to a psychic but when I had my tarot cards read she told me that I would soon be with the man I would marry and that I had already met him. Just over a year later I met my husband (again) & we have been together ever since.

Jennifer said...

Funny you talk about this because I actually just saw a psychic this past weekend. It was at one of the radio station events. I figured what the heck. I was surprised to actually follow her and seemed to know just what she was talking about. However, i have to wonder if sometimes people take way too much out of it...

Jennifer

Later Never Exists said...

This is probably going to seem a little redundant, but I have to agree with Chubby McGee.

I have always believed that psychics, or people are are "more in tune" see things as they are at the current moment, if things continue to progress exactly as they are at the current moment in time.

However, this allows for changes (free will?) by all parties involved and it does not mean that what you were told at a reading is hands down "this is definitely going to happen."

Unfortunately too many people tend to manipulate and some people just read too far into things.

Either way, I have had some very interesting experiences myself and also have heard a lot of very interesting stories in regards to psychics.

I say go for it, but have fun with it if nothing else!

Later Never Exists said...

This is probably going to seem a little redundant, but I have to agree with Chubby McGee.

I have always believed that psychics, or people are are "more in tune" see things as they are at the current moment, if things continue to progress exactly as they are at the current moment in time.

However, this allows for changes (free will?) by all parties involved and it does not mean that what you were told at a reading is hands down "this is definitely going to happen."

Unfortunately too many people tend to manipulate and some people just read too far into things.

Either way, I have had some very interesting experiences myself and also have heard a lot of very interesting stories in regards to psychics.

I say go for it, but have fun with it if nothing else!

Later Never Exists said...

This is probably going to seem a little redundant, but I have to agree with Chubby McGee.

I have always believed that psychics, or people are are "more in tune" see things as they are at the current moment, if things continue to progress exactly as they are at the current moment in time.

However, this allows for changes (free will?) by all parties involved and it does not mean that what you were told at a reading is hands down "this is definitely going to happen."

Unfortunately too many people tend to manipulate and some people just read too far into things.

Either way, I have had some very interesting experiences myself and also have heard a lot of very interesting stories in regards to psychics.

I say go for it, but have fun with it if nothing else!

trisha said...

in 2007 i went to a psychic/tarot card reader that was a friend of a good friend of mine. it was totally chill, we had a girls day at her house and had drinks and hung out and got our tarot cards read!

long story short - she spot-on called my career change that I undertook a month after this reading (at the time of the reading i wasn't even looking at other jobs), she said one direction would bring me happiness, and the other direction would bring me monetary bliss. I left a job that I loved and would do for free and never ONCE griped about going to 5 days a week - to take on a job that I despised, yet made BANK at.

she also knew about my mom being sick, and told me that she doesn't have much time left here on earth, and the only reason she's stayed as long as she has is because the love she has for me as her daughter is a strength of no other and that's what keeps her holding on, and that i needed to let her know I am ok and I am at peace with her leaving us. within 2 months of her saying this, my mother ended up in ICU with a less than 20% chance of pulling thru, the doctor's said there was no medical/scientific reason as to how she survived the lupus flare up which caused it and she should of died. My mother has defied death another 2 times since then.... I've yet to find the strength to let her know I am at peace with her leaving this earth...

She also told me I would be married within 3 years. And that I would meet him at work, he would be older than me and would be a perfect balance for me and my strong personality and needs. Within almost 3 years from that date exactly I was engaged, to a man that was older than me, that I met at work....

Bitch knew her shit! And the ONLY thing she knew about me was my first name. I'd never met her before.