Monday, March 5, 2012

A person can be killed over Doritoes.

Yah - you heard me right.  I wasn't kidding.

While I may not be an officially incarcerated inmate - at times - it sure feels like I am because Rambo is a prison guard.  Yup - another prison rant from the prison guard's wife.  I can't keep these fears in or they'll drive me crazy so you lucky little readers get to hear this shit again. 

When Rambo was first in the prison system, he only guarded seg inmates.  That means he only guarded inmates who were in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day.  There were no fights or rapes or anything.  Though the prisoners were literally dubbed the worst in the state (and even some federal inmates would be shipped there in the middle of the night in secrecy) - Rambo was safe....because these prisoners were so dangerous or they'd be killed immediately in general population...that every prisoner was in segragation.

The last few years, part of the prison has been converted to general population.  My biggest fear come true.

General population means MANY prisoners with very few guards.  It means fights and racial tension and way more issues. 

It means I worry way more than I used to over stupid things like canteen.

Canteen is things like Doritoes, snacks, candy, soda.  The inmates put orders in for it and buy it with their own money.  It is usually cheap.

Yesterday, Rambo watched a white inmate walk into a Mexican inmate's cell and hand him a bag of canteen.  A BIG bag.  $20 worth. 

That's a lot of canteen.

And in the prison world - $20 of canteen means something is up.  A deal is being made.  Someone is being paid off for services rendered or services to be rendered in the future.  You cannot give another inmate canteen like that.  Especially when you're different races.

Something is going to go down.

I hate that Rambo caught them doing it - even though I know he caught them because he's good at his job.

One inmate agreed to lose 5 days of electronics for what he did.  The other one is more stubborn and is awaiting a hearing.

And now we wait.  To see if someone can figure out what the canteen payment was for.

Maybe because the canteen transfer was stopped - the "event" won't happen.  I don't know.

What I know is that I hate general population politics.  I hate that in prison - people can be killed or beaten or raped over $20 worth of Doritoes and soda.  I hate that another human being's life is worth such a small amount.

Then again - knowing what some of these men have done - Doritoes and soda can sometimes be an overpayment - if you ask me.

I doubt I'll ever look at Doritoes the same way again.

23 comments:

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

And I'm sick to my stomach over whether my car will start this morning...While I was trying to fall asleep and now dwell on it I kept telling myself car problems are nothing in the grand scheme of things. Thank you for making it even more concrete for me. I'll add Rambo to my prayers, if that's ok.

Miz said...

Im adding Rambo to my thoughts and prayers too.
and you.
Life is one big crazy dorito'filled enigma.

xo

Fab Kate said...

One more thing to worry about today.

I know the amount of trading that goes on in jails, but had no idea that $20 was that big a thing. Here canteen has a $120/week spending limit. That seems quite a lot, and I'd wonder if that would make $20 of canteen worth less in trade.

Kristin50 said...

Rambo and you are in my prayers, my hat goes off to him for serving this way. Not many could handle the job that he does!

It is sad but most of the criminals in prison do not put much value on human life, and that is very sad indeed.

Hugs

mdlapband said...

Drazil - my husband works for the federal prison here in NC. Crazy huh? I'll add rambo to my daily prayer for my husband's safety. MS is a case manager so he doesn't deal as much with the inmates as he used to as an officer, but I know if there's an issue he'll be the first to jump in which always bothers me.

Gilly said...

Ugh...I kinda wish I hadn't read this...I thought all posts about Doritos would be happy posts. *hugs*

F. McButter Pants said...

My son and son-in-law both work at prisons. I used to like "prison break" movies....now, not so much. I truly feel your anxiety. I pray for their safety every morning. Life really is crazy.

Lee Ann said...

Oh I feel your anxiety.....his job sounds so stressful and if not for him, then definitely for his wife. Hugs and prayers.

jennxaz said...

yikes!

Maren said...

That is crazy.. Just so crazy!

Karen Butler Ogle said...

I couldn't live with the uncertainty of living with a prison guard. Such risk involved. I would be a nervous wreck all the time. Hang in there, Draz.

Ronnie said...

That's insane... praying something was squashed instead of it being for something that already happened.

MandaPanda said...

Yikes! I don't know if I could handle Hubby working in an environment like that. Poor Rambo and poor you for having to worry!

LoriBang said...

Wow! I don't blame you for worrying about you hubby. I worry about mine being a volunteer FF and when he has to go out on the interstate on an accident some other idiot not paying attention slamming into them. Or fires. But over Doritos? Way crazy! But thanks for making me throw the rest of my bag of doritos that has been causing me stress away!

Cat said...

I seriously hope that Rambo catching this means it's been put down. He is in my thoughts hon. You too. *hearts*

Reggie said...

Wow Draz, that is a crazy situation. I'll be praying as well for his continued safety in such a volatile environment.

Theresa aka Tessie Rose said...

That's awful! I think of you everytime I watch "Lock up" I'd be a nervouse wreck!

BeesKnees said...

It's just sad how little some people can regard a life. I'm a little obsessed with "Lock-up Raw" on MSNBC it's totally unhealthy but really fascinating. It's crazy how little prison politics has changed over the years. Rambo is a brave soul, kudos to him and you.

Sarah said...

That is crazy, and here was I expecting a story about PMT munchies from hell. xx

Lisa said...

Thinking of you both. One of the toughest jobs! My little mom - all of 4'11 used to be a deputy sheriff and worked inside the jail. I remember as a little girl when she came home after an inmate threw a massive pot of boiling spaghetti sauce on her because she broke up a fight. She walked in and it looked like dried blood and I was hysterical. I will never get that thought out of my head. It was always scary to me for her to work there so I can only imagine what you are going thru.

~Sandi @ This one time at 'band' camp... said...

Well I certainly hope this has been stopped and that Rambo and his work mates will be safe, I'll hold you in my prayers too ;)

Robyn's Nest said...

Oh honey, what a crazy world. I am sad that you have to worry about stuff like this. I hope Rambo stopped something and it is over for now. I will keep you and him in my prayers.

Holly from 300 Pounds Down said...

Wow. I have never known a prison guard or anyone who was married to one so I've never heard these stories before. I guess the closest thing for me was watching Prison Break and I'm guessing that's not the same. I totally understand why you would be freaked. I was married to someone in the army and you are always stressing out about deployments and dangerous situations. I think your situation is much like that if not worse b/c my husband wasn't always deployed to a dangerous area and if he was there was a time limit. He is clearly a very brave person to do this job. I hope it all turns out well and if you find out what the canteen deal was about please tell us! I would like to know. But you're right. Doritos are even more evil now than they were before.