Thursday, September 13, 2012

50% of Ten Things Thursday - Drazzie style!

It’s time for Triple T…Ten Things Thursday…courtesy of Miss Laura Belle!

I should probably warn you that all 5 of my items may sound pissy, grumpy, catty or petty or completely asshole-ish. Just roll with it. And be glad you’re not in my head. They’re just my opinions.
Feel free to take ‘em or leave ‘em.

1. Not far from where I live, this happened. A man and his brother set a house on fire. Doesn’t sound so tragic, does it? Well…just wait. The man set his OWN house on fire. With his 3 kids and pregnant wife inside it. His brother helped because he was told he’d get $300 for helping. The 7 year old and 5 year old boys were found face down by the door – that was locked from the outside. Dead. The mother woke up and threw her 2 yr old little girl out of the window into the Dad’s arms – and he tried to throw her back into the fire. The mom ran out of the house and realized her boys were still in there so she ran back in – as the father stood there. She is in critical condition with only a 10% chance of living. She was 4 months pregnant and that baby has died inside her. The 2 year old has survived. Can you imagine her life when she’s old enough to be told what happened? And the father did it because he wanted the life insurance money on all of them. Come to find out he hadn’t paid his premiums so there is no life insurance. They all died for nothing. And the Dad lives. He will probably end up at the prison where Rambo works because in any other prison he’d be killed instantly. Honestly…there just aren’t words.

2. Regarding all the attacks on US Embassies by the Muslim Brotherhood – especially on 9/11…I want to shank them all. I understand being insulted hurts but Americans are insulted every day for all kinds of reasons and we don’t cover our faces, gather mobs, take to the streets and kill innocent people to retaliate. We honor the insults thrown at us knowing that behind them is the freedom of speech that so many fought for. If we want – we can hurl insults back or walk away. What possesses you to use your religion and hurt as a reason to kill innocent people? How I wish I could be in the White House for a day. I’d pull all foreign money aid and pull all Americans from your countries. I’m so over helping you kill us. So over YOUR outrage that somehow gives you permission to do any wretched thing you so choose.

3. Regarding the Chicago teacher strikes. Hmmmm…you turned down a 16% pay raise I hear? Funny. Rambo watches pedofiles, rapists and murderers every day and he hasn’t had even so much as a cost of living raise in over 4 YEARS. And the tenure issues. If you are a good teacher, I’d think you’d want to be rated on your performance. In my job, if I do a bad job – there are consequences. Doesn’t seem like all that bad of a concept. But what do I know? I just know that in an economy where millions are out of work – it sounds pretty bizarre that people with median salaries of $74k are choosing to strike.

4. I spoke with a teacher last night and she said and I quote: “Oh my gosh, if any of my students even got a D in my class, I’d be horrified. If a kid walks out of my class with a low grade or no understanding of the topic, then that’s a direct reflection of my teaching and my skills and I can’t have that. I can’t imagine letting that be okay.” Well said, Mrs. H. Well said.

5. I do not have a baby. I am not pregnant. I never will be again. Yet somehow, I’m addicted to the show Baby Story and almost cry during every episode even though the episodes are all circa 1980. I can’t help it.

That’s it for me today. I’m pretty sure I pissed off enough people so far so I’ll stop here.

Oh and right before you decide to leave me a mean comment, read this first.

Have a great TTT, everyone!

15 comments:

jennxaz said...

Yep the Chicago Teacher thing sucks balls..I haven't had a raise here in 5 years--like more people...they make way more than teachers here in AZ and let me say I HATE UNIONS..there is no need for them anymore.

LDswims said...

1) That is beyond horrible. I just can't imagine. I can't imagine Rambo having to look this asshole in the eyes and protect him. This is where I wish we did do a little more eye for an eye type of thing. He does not deserve our resources.

2) I couldn't agree more.

3) Yeah, that's dumb. They are so incredibly over the national median, and I'm gonna assume the Chicago median, too. To turn down a 16% raise when the rest of us are getting zilch and don't have tenure to boot. No respect. Fire them all and move on to the people who actually get what the job is about.

4) Love her. I wish more teachers felt that way. I wish education mattered more in the scheme of things.

5) I watched that show multiple times every day that I was on bedrest. I cried every time, too. I think I've seen all the repeats at this point. But as soon as the boys were born - I literally could not turn that show back on. I don't know why. I just couldn't - and I still can't. Maybe if I am lucky enough to get pregnant again, maybe I'll get addicted to that show again.

Love the link you shared - wish I could watch the videos here but I can't, don't have sound and they seem like videos that need sound.

I love this blog, too. I am so tired of not ever saying what we feel or believe because we might offend someone. If any of this offended someone, personally, that's a someone I don't want to know. And maybe I'll piss people off by saying that, but I appreciate the honesty and it just makes me love you more! The only way to really make things better is to have open and honest discourse - and we truly don't have much of that these days.

And I agree with jennxaz. Unions are so outdated now. Once upon a time they served a purpose. Now they just hold people back - and the people that are being held back, the people being represented - they don't even seem to get that. What on earth happened to critical thinking?

Ugh. Scary times. Just so scary!

Fit Mom said...

Love what the teacher said about her students being a reflection of herself. And as for 1. That just horrifies me that a father could do that to his kids not to mention pregnant wife. SO sad!

Joey said...

#1 made the news here. Makes me want to vomit.

Cat said...

I always love the reality in your posts...Rambo reading to the girls, your honesty in your fitness pursuit, or your political views... I love it all. I'm glad you are genuine. Love the PLL link you shared too. I just may have to start following her! I loves me some girly girls!!

As for you #1. There are no words for how horrified I feel about that.

*heartu*

RockBand Barbie said...

I would NEVER leave you hateful comment :)

I don't know the working conditions of the teachers in Chicago, so I don't have a strong opinion on their strike. I do know that I would have been on the front line of that strike when I was working at my old job. Our evaluation system also was largely based on the test scores of our students. None of my students were on grade level. Most of them didn't read above a 3rd grade level (they were in high school), yet part of my evaluation was based on how well they did on the state testing. I was also cussed daily, physically threatened numerous times, and even physically assaulted on a few occassions. It was HELL. There was NO amount of money that could have made me happy at the job. I gave up my tenure to go to school system with much better working conditions. If the teachers there are that unhappy, maybe they should do the same thing. Now I can't believe I get paid to have so much fun every day :)

FitBy40 said...

The first thing I thought of when I read #1 was, I hope he ends up at Rambo's prison and gets his ass beat every day! Real christian of me, huh?
Also...let's not forget to mention that Chicago public schools still have the SHORTEST school day in the entire country. Lovely.
I loved Baby Story and miss it now that we don't have cable!

Sarah said...

I think you are DEAD ON! And if that schmuck ends up in Rambo's prison, do you think I could get a visitor's pass, baseball bat, and ten minutes alone with him? Work on that! ;)

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com

speck said...

I haven't read past your introduction and already I'm responding! lol You had me hooked from that point. Heck, we need to be able to vent sometimes. I just did it the other night about my boss.

Ok, going back to read the rest of your post.

That first story is a heartbreaker. Sometimes we just don't understand. This is one of those times.

Basically I just agree and feel the same way you do on each topic.

Sandra

Corletta said...

Is it bad that none of this offended me? In fact, there was many an amen that resounded after reading this. Oh the irritations and stupidity we face in this world. By the way, your kind comment on my blog is much appreciated!! You sweet thing :)

adorkbl said...

I am absolutely sicked by #1. I have seen and heard a lot ( I work in law enforcement)... but that is horrific.

Beth said...

I was positively nauseated over number 1. I don't understand how someone can be just plain non-human. WTH is wrong with people!?!?

MandaPanda said...

I absolutely agree about the teachers' strike (anyone notice all the misspellings on the signs they're using, btw?) and the embassy attacks. The first story broke my heart..seriously...what is wrong with people?!?!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I just love a sale!

Azmomo2 said...

I agree with you on everything except a Baby Story... LOL

I am a nurse and a nursing student currently and I still get choked up at births!