Monday, October 15, 2012

"Normal" weekends...

I seriously don’t know how normal families do normal weekends every weekend. The kind where the Mom and the Dad are home and so are the kids. Like from Friday to Sunday.

It’s effing exhausting. Good God in heaven – dare I say I’m used to Rambo being gone the whole weekend which also means: no makeup, no combing of hair, no shaving of legs, no getting out of my PJs, no talking to anyone but myself, and lots and lots of TV and catching up on the PT jobs.

It started Friday when I finally went in the semi with Rambo. I kid you not – we got up at 4am. My eyes are not legally programmed to open until at least after 6am or so – so for the first two hours I walked around with my eyes shut. No - really what happened was I got up and tried to look presentable at 4am (aka – putting a hat on my head so I didn’t have to do my hair) and hopped in the semi and then hopped into the sleeper and proceeded to SLEEP until at least the sun was up.

So in the semi at 4am and we finally left the farm at 5pm that night – only because I drug Rambo out of there. He wanted to stay the entire night and pick corn and I convinced him the second shift of guys had it covered.

I also want it noted that I ruined a pair of my cute pink Nike shoes by getting grease on them from my seat in the semi. Yes – I’m aware I should never have worn them in the first place but shove it – a girl has got to look cute no matter where she is, mkay? I was ONE girl around dozens of guys all day. I had to represent. I told Rambo’s boss he owes me new shoes and I’ll be submitting a receipt.

At one point when we were moving all the machinery to a new corn field, Rambo’s other boss asked me to drive a tractor because they had too many pieces of equipment and not enough drivers. When I found out the tractor I would be driving was worth about $350k – I promptly screamed HELL TO THE NO at the top of my lungs. Let’s be clear that I once WAS a farm girl but I am not anymore. Mkay?

Saturday Rambo took me to the Harley shop and our college football team store to buy some new duds for next week’s game. We stupidly went into a Halloween store too – thinking it’d be fun. Wrongzo. Wall to wall pissed off parents and crying and begging kids. We ran our asses out of there after we found our Hello Kitty birthday stuff for Banana.

We were supposed to go home from there and have a romantic evening. We had an evening but it wasn’t romantic. The guys from the farm called and begged us to have a drink with them. You and I both know one drink is NOT possible with farm boys who have been pulling 20 hour shifts for about a month. They work hard and they play harder. It was raining – therefore they couldn’t be in the fields – therefore they were forced to take a down day – therefore beer comes into play.

We got to the bar at about 6pm and the boys had been there since noon. Yah – um – they were slightly inebriated by the time we got there. And? Five hours later we finally left. Jesus, Joseph and Mary – I’m too old for this shit. Luckily, Rambo didn’t get drunk. He had his beers and his buzz and he was happy. It was fun but way past my bed time and so not the original plan I had.

Sunday we slept in until the last possible moment and picked up the girls. We took Banana and two of her friends to a kid’s party place for her birthday all day. Later family came over for cake.

THEN – 18 bazillion hours later than planned – I worked on shit I had no time for until then. Timesheets and payroll and the like. An hour of TV with the family and it was already time to prep lunches and outfits and all that crap for this morning…in between coloring my hair you know.

I’ve been at work an hour and I think this is the first time I’ve felt relaxed since Thursday night. LOL Being a real, normal, present family takes a shitload of time and effort, doesn’t it?

I mean it’s the closest thing to bliss but I need a freaking nap already.

Also – I’d like to note – men in tractors and semis in jeans and boots working their asses off doing manual labor – IS HOT. I’m just sayin’…

How was your weekend?

13 comments:

tz said...

I'm a bad mom because I was super excited that my son's team lost their first game so we didn't have to spend two days in the cold watching baseball....and super excited that this was the last weekend of baseball and nothing until January when basketball starts....and the other one has no karate tournaments or swim meets until next year...so frankly my weekends are going to be cake for at least a month whoo hoo. Weekends are so not for rest...that's what work is for.

jennxaz said...

whew! I am exhausted just hearing about it..but it sounds like good fun was had in all that work!

angel shrout said...

I second the hot farm hands comment.. and I hear you loud and clear. This weekend we helped rearrange furniture for the woman I take care of, then did it here at the house. Fire pit with friends planning on finishing the moving of stuff on Sunday only to spend the day cooking and taking food to people.. I am whooped. Oh and I got up at 3 am this morning because my allergies kicked into high from all that dusting and open windows..sighs.

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I just got a job outside the house (I babysat at my home the past 7 years) and I start tomorrow and even though it's a few days a week I'm freaking out wondering how I'm going to get all of my shit done!

Fit Mom said...

Good golly you wore me out just reading that. And I totally see how farm guys in jeans is hot. I used to get hot and bothered when my husband would come home in jeans and a t shirt all dirty from work. LOL. Something about steel toed boots. Just talk power tools to me and I am a puddle. ROFL. But that is my issue, not yours.

speck said...

I felt your exhaustion! lol

We are a busy family also so I can relate.

Just remember...it's so nice to have a lazy day with the kids and husband is gone. Not to many of those, but boy do I enjoy it.(stay in pj's all day....ok, I'm dreaming now lol)

Sandra

october 11 said...

This is so random buttttt I was thinking of you this weekend because I saw an adorable hello kitty shirt (button down) at Target that I didn't even realizewas Hello Kitty until I was holding it!!

Wendie Haynes said...

I've got myself a thing for those working boys and their boots too. Nothing like a big truck to make me all...

Jody V said...

I was thinking the same thing about this weekend thing! It truly is exhausting and I didn't do the semi thing!

RockBand Barbie said...

And I thought my little grocery shopping, cleaning house, and shopping was tiring....whew, I needed a nap after just reading this :)

JRD said...

Ooooh, you rode in the semi! Hubby is taking his test at the end of the month, and I can't wait till I can ride in a truck! Also, that weekend exhausts me. Well done, gurl.

Ducky said...

Bah! Normal is over rated. I am not surprised in the least at how well you mastered the change up of the weekend.

I mean...seriously...you had the shoes and hair and everything. *knuckle bump*

So..did you...uh..by chance have your eyes open enough to take pictures of said men working?

LDswims said...

I so would have driven that tractor. That would have made my year, I mean, day!!! OMG. I'd give them all the Nike's they need to donate to you if they'd let me drive that tractor.

I just love big huge awesome toys that are way too over-priced and...well..damn...I'd go gooey kneed for a dump truck. Or a front loader. A great big ol hunormous one.

Or a semi. But I do drive those. Navy was good for somethin...and ships. Damn. What beats an almost 900 foot long ship. And I drove that, too.

Damn. I need some new toys, apparently.

To finish - we are that normal. That be together from Friday through Sunday every weekend weekend in and weekend out. What's funny - is because we are together that means I can wear pajamas all weekend long and not worry about shaving legs or wearing makeup or anything girly. If we aren't together, if we're getting a sitter and going off to be LHF and his wife, well, then I gotta worry about all that crap. And LHF hates worrying about that crap as much as I do - so we don't do much (although we do it up when we do)and avoid it and stay grimy. I love me some normal time. I don't know what we'll do when the boys are completely ensconced and childhood activities and we have to take care of the running around and cheering on the sidelines and screaming at the meets. I'm gonna miss me my normal weekends.