Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Where is your tonuge at right now?

I’m not joking. Where is the tip of your tongue right now?

Is it on the roof of your mouth?

I’ll tell you why I’m asking.
 Then you’ll have even more reason to think I’m the craziest person you know.

When I was in high school, some dude came in and gave us a speech on something. The ONLY thing I can remember from the whole speech is that he asked us all where our tongues were. Probably not a great opening line to a bunch of sex-deprived, raging hormone aged teenagers but he went with it.

The tongue is the largest organ in the body and therefore – according to this dude – where it rests says a lot about you and your state of mind. If the tip of your tongue is on the roof of your mouth – well then – according to him…you are stressed, anxious, not relaxed, etc. You have to actually PUT the tip of your tongue there. It doesn’t go there on its own.

If your tongue is on the roof of your mouth – you have to manually make it come down, right? He says that if your tongue is naturally down – not touching the roof of your mouth – then you are truly relaxed.

I think about this more often than you’d think. I have NO idea why. Probably because I’m always trying to find new ways to relieve stress and I can tell you that 99% of the time my tongue is up – with the tip touching the roof of my mouth. I actively try to make it come down but it never stays that way.

So where is yours? This could of course be a load of bullshit but who knows? It does take a bit of energy to put your tongue up and keep it there but it’s really hard to just let it rest down too, isn’t it?

Moving on.

Did you read that Kim Kardashian recently said she’d totally have sex with herself if she was a man just to see what it would feel like? First of all – I’m pissed I wasted time even reading the headline. Second of all – I want to shank her – HARD. Multiple times. Her ego is almost as big as her ass.

It’s a celebration week at work this week and you have to know what that means, right? Food. Shitloads of food. Fresh movie theatre popcorn all day every day for 5 days. Catered in breakfast today consisting of eggs, sausage and biscuits, hashbrowns, fruit and drinks. Jelly filled cakes tomorrow afternoon. It just never ends. Some would say it’s a perk. I say it’s not.

I didn’t do an update on my weight loss yesterday but have no fear – I haven’t fallen off the wagon or anything. I was however, up another ½ pound…bringing my loss for the year to just 9 pounds. I am still ahead of my schedule. I’m not upset about the gain because I know my body. I gain muscle quickly. I don’t think I’ve gained a pound in the last two weeks. I have continued to work out and do tabata drills and even the elliptical almost every day. I haven’t stopped prepping my meals and Rambo’s. I still am writing down everything I eat every day.

These are all really good healthy things and I can’t let the number on the scale take away the good in that. I’ll just keep going. I’m going to keep getting healthier anyway.

PS – my doctor appointment went well….I guess. My doc thinks my migraines are caused mainly by my lack of sleep. And once I go so many days with little to no sleep – my body reacts. That and the internal stress I carry. I don’t necessarily feel stressed but my body says I am. She gave me stuff to help me sleep and realllllly wants me to on BP meds because my BP is high. That doesn’t help migraines either.

So there’s that!


18 comments:

jennxaz said...

my tongue was on my bottom teeth..I feel for you girl...those migraines have plagued you forever! I hope you get it figured out!

Fit Mom said...

whew. I was worried about you. Congrats on keeping at it. And why do they need to celebrate with food? Hmmm....

Connie O said...

That tongue issue is actually something my oral surgeon talked to me about when I had my wisdom teeth removed, because I clench my jaw during the day and grind my teeth at night. He said if my tongue is jammed up against the top of my mouth, it means my jaw is clenched too. He recommended once in a while sticking my tongue all the way out, then pulling it back in, swallowing, and trying to leave my jaw and tongue as they are after the swallow. You're right--it's almost impossible.

Good luck solving the headaches. I get those from clenching my jaw too.

Ms. M said...

Did the guy happen to say what it means when you go around with your tongue hanging out all the time? I ask because I know someone who constantly does this... she claims she "forgets" to put it back in her mouth. Lol

Hope you get the migraines under control soon!

FitBy40 said...

I totally thought of you while I was begrudgingly on the elliptical today! I figure since I promised God (Lent), then I can't back out of it.
Great job at keeping up all that planning and exercise. I bet you feel better too (except the migraines!).

Marc said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I was eating lunch while reading so my tongue was all over the place!

Banded Strong said...

This post is great! Never thought about tongue position til just now! Hope you get the mirgraines figured out soon. Those are miserable...

Tina @ The Bandit Girl said...

You have the right attitude about that scale! Keep doing what you know is right, girl! Migraines suck...mine are triggered by hormones and barometric pressure drops.

Angelwithatwist said...

Believe it or not my tongue is too long to sit comfortably down. So much so that I have an overbite because it is constantly pushing my top teeth out to lay on my bottom teeth. I know I am weird.

LDswims said...

When I had braces the first time my orthodontist told me, no lie, that it was my fault my teeth were crooked because of how my tongue sat in my mouth. He told me the natural way for the tongue to "rest" was having the tip on the roof of the mouth away from the teeth. If I did that, I would have straight teeth forever. To not do that is lazy, according to that orthodontist. Since then I have always tried to get my tongue up there...but apparently I am lazy cause it just wants to chill out on the bottom. And no, my teeth didn't go back to crooked. Still straight as can be...in spite of that "lazy" tongue.

Building muscle is a good thing. You probably also had a fair amount of water weight you shed as you cleaned out from all that soda. At the end of the day, the lifestyle matters more than the number on the scale.

I hope this doc is right. I would love it if you could get some sleep. I should, too. I would love that, too.

ILUM

Jewlz280 said...

www . tonguethrust . com / information . htm

Sorry about all the spaces, but I was afraid your setting might not let me post otherwise. Your tongue is suppose to sit on the roof of your mouth with the tip being at that little ridge behind your teeth, but not touching your teeth. When I first read your post I was like what? NO! Your tongue is more than just for tasting but for support! So if it was just lax in the bottom of your mouth, it would be sorta pointless. But I think that link explains it better than I ever could. Even how your tongue being up helps you to complete your circle of breathing and swallowing. :)

meleemistress said...

Ok, I'll be the annoying one.

The tongue isn't the largest organ in your body. The skin is. The tongue isn't even in the top ten: Human Organs Ranked By Size

meleemistress said...

Ok, I'll be the annoying one.

The tongue isn't the largest organ in your body. The skin is. The tongue isn't even in the top ten: Human Organs Ranked By Size

Barbara said...

I think that guy from Queen does have the largest tongue I have ever seen.. I dont know why I felt compelled to post this.. but when you mentioned tongues, thats all I could think about.. hugs

Sarah Kopf said...

So I just read my husband about three weeks worth of your blogs outloud. We were both laughing so hard we were foaming at the mouth and crying! Love your blogs! Love!

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com

Sunshine's Heart said...

Now that you posted this I can't get my tongue out of the roof of my mouth.

Blessed mommy said...

Um, sitting here trying to get my darn tongue of the roof of my mouth..not working! ;)